93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

SS sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I've been thinking about the ss sway bar for the rear and I was wondering what it would cause for problems in the rear? By loose what do you mean by that?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Loose means that the rear end will want to come around on you. You need a small amount of lean to help transfer the weight to the outboard wheel to help with traction. But at the same time you move the weight to the outside wheel you take from the inside wheel causing a loss of traction. Now add the sway bar and it will help balance the weight transfer but too much sway bar and it will counter the effects to the point of loss once again. This is a fine balancing act that you are safer going light than too heavy. Too much sway bar will make the car push which is also called understeer. Understeer is when you turn and the vehicle does not, or does not turn in as much as the steering wheel input is asking. If you ask me a car that pushes is more dangerous than one that oversteers.

Oversteer can be controlled with throttle inputs and countersteering.

Understeering, can be controlled with reducing speed and braking if you are lucky.

Massey

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

I see. That's kinda what I thought but didn't know quite all that info. Thanks Massey.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh and if you have Traction Control it will help you with oversteer but not understeer. It is clueless if your front wheels are the ones sliding. Opps! I guess they forgot to program that into the system.

Massey

Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

The traction control I have is my light warning me of low traction thankfully. I guess I'll just leave the rear bar alone or get one off a z.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Overdrive Member

The SS rear bar should work fine if you have the SS springs and SS front bar as well. Your car will feel a wee different going down the road but it should still be OK. There was not alot of difference in the weight of the LS1 over the L36 so your front ride height should not change much at all.

Massey

Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM
Overdrive Member

^ Huh? SS Springs? Do you know that SS Sways (32/19 mm) were an OPTION on some V6 Camaros?! Why do you think SS Springs are necessary?! They are not.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Overdrive Member

This may sound odd but hear me out here. I used to race R/C Onroad cars. These little guys would average 40 MPH on an indoor carpet track. I learned alot of how suspension components work together. We needed to balance the spring rates and swaybar tensions in order to provide optimum handling. Now if they add too heavy of swaybars with too weak of springs you will not get the full effect of the swaybars and you could actually cause the front to push by giving the rear too much traction. I would imagine that if GM were using heavier swaybars they would also up the spring rates for the car to help balance the handling. I may be totally wrong here since you are thinking that I was only playing with "toy" cars but I have also done alot of study about vehicle handling that can confirm what I am saying.

Massey

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

Lol love the rc car referral. I thought that the rear suspension in these cars are the same minus the sway bar.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Overdrive Member

The SLP RS backage comes with the upgraded handling package Y87 I believe it is, which has the stiffer springs already installed. That being said the larger sway bars are going to work just fine.

Massey

Quick Reply: SS sway bars