93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Engine Swap - Shopping List Help

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Exclamation Engine Swap - Shopping List Help

Hey guys, a few question as I could use help compiling a shopping list to complete an engine swap.

I have a 1998 V6 Camaro with 110k on it. With Massey's help, I settled with a 2007 Grand Prix L26 Series III with 30k on it. It has arrived to my doorstep for $525 after shipping.

Now that it is here, what maintenance parts should I look into replacing while the engine is still out? I am not looking to do any performance mods or "bolt-ons" at the moment. That's for later, for now I am looking to keep her as fuel efficient and reliable as a daily driver. I understand that the L26 is hardly any different than my L36, but most noteworthy would be the front wheel drive setup on the Gran Prix as opposed to the rear wheel on my Camaro.

So far on my list I have:
Spark Plugs/Wires
Motor Mounts
Liquids

Edits :::
+ Intake Gaskets
. . . .

I swear the list was bigger in my head haha but that's all I got so far.

So let's talk hoses, water pumps, clutchs, bearings, slave cylinders, flywheels, etc etc. What will I need? I've read that intake gaskets are prone to crap out on Camaro L36's, but do I still need to worry about it on this 2007 L26 with only 30k? Think the quality has improved over the years or should I still be looking into changing it early to avoid it later? Is it worth it to hone and deglaze at this point?

I am working on a budget of around $400-500. I know that a good portion of that could very well go to purchases of items I might break along the way attempting this swap lol. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited by JasonMASR; 02-24-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Link and List
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think you need to swap over to your L36 intake so you will need the intake gaskets no matter what. I think your going to need a few gaskets. Is the oil pan, timing cover the same?

Add in: the two forward O2 sensors and your budget is about done. It is a great time to install headers. A decent clutch assembly is going to set you back $500. Don't fall for the cheap china made clutchs. Most do not make it a year.

It is a gread time to add in headers and they will improve fuel mileage. If you can beg/borrow some cash it is a worthy upgrade and easy to do while the motor is out.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-24-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the help Gorn.
The two forward O2 sensors post headers/pre-cat? I had them both replaced around 500 miles ago, which was last summer, (haven't drove her much haha) They didn't want to budge a bit until I warmed the engine and using a ratchet-extension-joint-extension-socket combo haha. so I should be good to go here?
Gaskets now have a permanent slot on my shopping list.
The oil pan is different, so I will need to swap it as well. Is this a wear item I should look into replacing or will my 110k oil pan suffice for now?

As for the timing cover, I have no idea so far.

Headers are not out of the question, my budget can be pushed a little to accommodate, but I do know that I will NOT be able to afford that high-flow cat and those magnaflow dual cat backs i've got my eyes on, at least not until a couple months.
How bad will this bottle neck in the exhaust system be? If you still recommend I slap on the headers while the engine is out, am I okay on the assumption I should grab some pacesetters for around $200?

And for the clutch, I am finding Centerforce Dual Friction clutch kits for around $400. This is definitely out of budget for now, but maybe a summer thing. Should I keep eying that centerforce kit or any other good quality kits you'd recommend?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by JasonMASR; 02-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Overdrive Member

Follow my post to determine what needs to be swapped over and what you can keep on your new engine. The list is about as close as I can remember from when I did the swap myself. Now if you put each engine side by side and move everything over from one to the other that will help you get everything back just how it is supposed to go. You can strip the L26 down to the long block, if it does not show signs of leaking then you can leave the timing cover alone (if you choose). DO NOT use the oil pickup from the FWD on your camaro. It is not as deep so you will not pick up oil like you are supposed to. Feel free to ask if anything else comes up.

Massey

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Of all the items you listed the headers would be the ones I would do with the motor out. Getting to the exhause manifold bolts with the motor in place is a PITA. Pulling the tranny and swapping exhausts later on is not a big deal. I did my clutch when I did my motor because I was not in a hurry and I am lazy.

Just a heads up. The centerforce "Kit" does not contain the throwout bearing\slave on the cheap that is another 85 bucks. Reman fly wheel can be had for 50 ish. The centerforce was the cheapest "good" clutch I could find. I am not just lazy I am cheap also.