93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

rear drum

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default rear drum

god i hate drum brakes im trying to the the drums off my 95 but nothing is working ive heated the crap out of it beat the sht out of it with a hammer wedged a flathead in between the drum and the shield on the back and the drum just flexes like its welded to the hub is there anything else i can do i dont want to replace unless i need to but from the looks of it the only option i have left is to cut the dam thing in half with a cutoff wheel

Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

update ive tried my little grinder and cleaned the rust off the hub thinking if i could get it to move just a little the clean hub will help NOPE also tried a sht load of thrust NOPE wtf i realy dont want to cut these off i realy dont want to spend 70 bucks if i dont have to

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Overdrive Member

Get a conversion kit to disc on ebay or elsewhere -- I did it on my 3.4L -- drums suck. Upgrade -- you will be happy you did. Just be careful with those spider gears.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i want to get a whole new rear end with independent rear suspension also with the disk brakes

but i did get the pass side drum off the only problem is it took like 5 hrs and i ran out of daylight drums look good but the shoes arnt so lucky

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah, they can be fun. Where are you hitting the drum? You want to beat on it hard on the outer corner, working your way around. Did you soak the hub area with PB Blaster too?

Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i hit it around the edge like you said and yes like half the can of pb its crazy like i said its like theyre welded i took the dremel and ground around the hole the hub goes thru and the hub after i got the pass side off and slathered the area with neverseize

Old 05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

if it;s moving alittle on the hub it;s just stuck on the pads due to the rust rudge on the drum.
beat on it all around the edge towards the diff, then grasps the back of the drum on one side and pull towards you as you hit the opposite side of the drum towards the axle seal.
then just keep switching sides as the drum waorks it;s self off.
then you;ll most likely need to change everything anyways
perfect time to swap out to disc brakes

Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

it doesnt move at all on the hub its "welded to that sht"

Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

holy crap!!!
just get a bigger hammer. lol
try not to hit the axle soo much where the studs are for fear of damage to the spider gears, but i;ve never made a problem yet and cars rot fast up hear in quebec!
always aound the outer ring like it seems like your doing.
i have a 4 pound sledge with a 20 inch handle for tough jobs like this.
don;t be shy to swing with both hands holding the handle! and put your shoulders into it... like golfing only louder

Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Definitely clean the hub - and perhaps try some heat to it (with the PB Blaster cleaned up).

And FWIW, I can feel your pain. Had the same issue with my fronts some time ago.

Here - the inner face of my front rotor had rusted so much it separated from the outer face:

Here are the remains of the rotor after applying the BFH:

Regardless, I wound up replacing both front hubs as my whacks with the hammer knocked them out, too.

Quick Reply: rear drum