93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Questions About 3.4 to 3800 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Default Questions About 3.4 to 3800 Swap

Hello all! I am new to the forum, so please try not to ridicule this idea too hard.

I have a 1995 Camaro with a 3.4. The motor is knocking hard, and was looking just to swap the engine for another 3.4. However, I was gifted a complete 2002 Firebird with a 3800 and automatic tranny (same as my 3.4). Going to do a full interior swap (black plastic molding looks way better that tan).

My main concern is the engine swap. The donor car is complete (starts right up and sounds gorgeous for a V6) the frame was completely bent beyond repair.

What all is involved with this swap? Seeing as I have the motor, mounts, tranny, computer, k-member and wiring harness, this should be a fairly straightforward swap (I'm hoping). I have no desire to get swap for a V8. I have everything I need for this swap and I am beginning the project this weekend. I was just hoping to get some insight from anyone that has done this in the past.

I'm in college and the 3800 is a way more reliable engine than the 3.4, while getting relatively good mpg. Just some of my reasoning why I'm not changing my mind for an LT1. (The donor was a gift! the interior is perfect, engine sound flawless. Basically a godsend for my situation. Low on funds. But plenty of time.)

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Overdrive Member
Wink

I think you have yourself a nice learning project -- wish I went that route instead of the 3.4L replacement on my old '95...

Also, the later years' V6 springs are firmer than what's in your '95...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-26-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The compilcation to your swap is the computer. Your going to have to swap everything. I can not tell you were you can draw the line. Take the Antilock brake system. I do not think the 95 controler will work with the 99 PCM. Easy enough swap over the 99 Anti lock system but does the your rear axle have the one input or two inputs. You may have to swap axles. You will most like have to replace just about every wire in the car. The 99 uses a body control module the 95 does not. You going to have a tuff timing getting info on this. We had one member that put a 97 3800 in a 95 Z I think.

Your best bet would be to find someone that swapped a 99 LS1 into a 95 V6. The issues they had your going to have.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-26-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Also if I remember correctly the the upper intake is straight on the 2002 and won't fit under the hood and the throttle body is DBW. You would have to get the intake from a 96-98 v6.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah its mostly gonna be a SWAP EVERYTHING. PCM is different so nothing can really plug in. Also i think the exterior light wire harness is a little different from camaro to firebird. I would say if you have the right tools (either a lift or really big jack stands) it should be easy.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it will be easy but then again what modern engine swap is. You got a complete car and the only difference is the intake. Well actually just the throttle body. It shouldn't be that hard of a swap.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok yeah not like get it done in one day but if your not messing with anything I would say its the easier way to do it

Old 10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Default Here is some progres

Sorry that took so long to reply back.

Here is the results of one weekend of work:

http://photobucket.com/LazarusTransplant

That album has all the pics of the job. We got the front clip dropped from my Camaro, and the interior completely gutted. And we got most of the Firebird's front clip ready to be dropped. I'd say it was a pretty successful two days.

Now this weekend we are dropping the front of the Firebird, and installing the new wiring harness and all that fun stuff.

I decided my car's name is Lazarus (Jesus brought him back to life), and the fact that this engine is coming out of a Firebird I think the name is fitting.

Let me know what you guys think so far!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nice work, Will the Firebird gage cluster fit the Camaro?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM

I did take a look at it. And it looks like the Firebird cluster will not work with my dash. Which is unfortunate, but it only adds an additional 10mph to the speedo. Now the pain is going to be trying to wire my cluster to the new wiring harness, and the headlights (because the firebirds have those "flippy" lights. I dunno how I'm going to do that...)

Another problem I have run into: my gas pedal is cable-driven, and the throttle of the 3800 is electronically controlled. Does anyone know how I will get this to work, or will it be as simple as swapping the gas pedal assembly?

I'll be working on it again tomorrow, and I hope I have more time this weekend to post.

Quick Reply: Questions About 3.4 to 3800 Swap