93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Power Add ons

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009 | 12:24 AM
|
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

of course, i go and respond before i check out your links, sorry. for that price, i would consider getting a setup, and dumping the CAT completely. emissions checks around here don't happen, so i am not worried about that.

Old 09-03-2009 | 12:39 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

The meth injection isn't going to do you didly without some kind of boost, just a waste of money.

Header options:
The best made right now are the Clear Image ones, their quality is top notch, 10x's the fit of Pacesetters. But they aren't cheap. FFF releases stainless long tube headers, they were $725 without a y-pipe. I think they still have a few sets left, few bought them because of the steep cost. Other options are painted or coated pacesetters, OBX stainless headers (clones of pacesetters), and RK sport headers. All perform basically the same, but some just last longer and fit better than others.

Exhaust: The best "flowing" and cheapest is what I have, the Texas Speed and Performance Rumbler. Fit is ok, but you loose some ground clearance since the resonator is parallel to the drive shaft, not sideways in the rear like stock. The thing I hate about it is the noise, it's VERY loud. The drone on the highway can give you a headache sometimes, and it's impossible to drive around town without making a ruckus. The worst performing system is the Flowcrapster, not worth the money in any way shape or form, very restrictive, really only good for sound. Magnaflow performs very well, and has a much more mellow tone than my TSP (will be my next catback). There's other options, Edelbrock makes a catback, but the I-pipe is 2.5", then goes to 3 over the axle, not sure why they did that, best cut that pipe out and make it 3" like it should be. Still another popular option is to get a Z28 factory exhaust and pop in into the sixxer. They flow better, and this gives you the most mellow tone out of the group. Then there's Borla, Corsa, Hooker, all kinds of flavors to choose from.

Cat:
The stocker is semi-restrictive. Removing it will throw codes, and o2 sims aren't worth their weight in plastic. I would recommend a Walker hi-flow cat (I could see through mine), or a Magnaflow (carsound) hi-flow. Both are low-cost options, and keep you legal. Removing the cat makes the exhaust louder still, and much more raspy (ask me how I know).

Intake:
Your sig says you have a 2002, so ignore the ebay intake opinions. Your cheapest option is to shave the baffles out of your stock lid. I also think that you can get a Whisper lid (larger, better flow), but I seem to remember them being discontinued, not entirely sure. You can also get a cold air setup too, or make your own:
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21033

Gears:
Easiest way to play with this stuff is to find a posi disk brake diff in a wrecking yard, you can look for the RPO code to get the 3.42 gears, or do what I have and upgrade to 4.10 gears (worth every penny). Note: you will need to have your PCM tuned to adjust for the gear change in order to fix the speedo. Also, look for an aluminum driveshaft from a 4th gen f-body, auto/stick, bird/maro, doesn't matter.

Tuning:
Easiest is PCM4Less, they are a mail order tune company. They can adjust for your exhaust and gears, even delete the o2 codes if you kill the cat. They even program your VIN into it to keep you legal for inspection. The other option is HP Tuners. This software has a steep learning curve, and is rather expensive. If you buy it, might as well figure on ordering a wideband since you really can't tune without it. I have this program, and am having a tough time, but am slowly getting a handle on it.

Others:
Stay with your stock coil packs, or get some stockers from a supercharged FWD car (GTP, Regal GS, Riviera, Bonny, etc.). The MSD packs are very well known to fail prematurely. They also don't put out the kick that the stockers do (surprising, I know). Several people with 11 second 3800's run stock coils. For wires, MSD is a good choice, 8.5mm. No need for garden hoses like some run, just a waste of money. For plugs, use an NGK TR55 for NA, or TR6 for boost.

On the intake manifold. They are very poorly designed. They flow bad, and there's no fix for it sadly. There's 3 people in the states who have swapped for a Holden mani, but they're hard to find and expensive. I haven't seen any dyno proof that they are actually better, so I would stray from that. Don't touch the throttle body, porting it won't do much good, leave the screen in there as well. It smooths the air flow out for the MAF sensor. It can be removed if you tune for it, but the only reason to remove it is to spray gas.

Old 09-03-2009 | 12:42 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:15 AM
|
ROTM Director

perfect. i was hoping for a response like that. thanks. i just really want to know how to get the best money to power exchange going on.

Old 09-04-2009 | 02:59 PM
|
ROTM Director

So I've finally figured things out a little. After the dyno run on tuesday, things get a little busy.

Plugs and wires are going in. I will be ordering a tune from PCMforless, just talked with them on the phone. Trim out the airbox and do a K&N filter. The tune will be for CAT delete, so I will be removing that. I am going to get a local shop to bend me up some 2.5" exhaust pipe, and install it all myself. the only thing i haven't decided on yet, is the brand of muffler. I am thinking Magnaflow, unless anyone has other suggestions. The other thing I am looking at is building my own induction system for the intake.

I am pretty sure I can do this all for under $1000. after that, i get her back on the dyno and see what kind of ponies have been gained.

Old 09-04-2009 | 04:43 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

It won't be a huge gain, I would go with a 2.75 or 3 inch exhaust though, 2.5 isn't much bigger than stock. Magnaflow is a good choice, will be decently mellow and flow well. However, I would recommend a Hooker Aerochamber, really popular sound and excellent flow. The aero is a bit louder than the magnaflow, and a lot cheaper. Good choice on the air box mods too. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Old 09-04-2009 | 08:20 PM
|
ROTM Director

i am thinking it will be cheaper and easier to go 3" back to the muffler, per your reccomendation, i will be going 3".

never heard of the aero, but again, i'm looking for suggestions. i like it to be a little louder, just not sounding like a ricer.

ya, i am going to be looking closely at a good way to smoothly move air to the box. should be some things that i can do

Old 09-04-2009 | 08:35 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-21506HKR/

That's the muffler I'm talking about there. You honestly can't go wrong sound wise, say for a glasspack. A glasspack will make the exhaust pretty obnoxious sounding, and there will be a lot of rasp. I haven't tried the aero chamber personally, but several others who have say that it's the best sounding mid-cost muffler. Glitch is that you can't get it in dual out, so the shop will have to make a y to run two 2.5" pipes out of it, or you could just run it single and hide a turn down.

Old 09-05-2009 | 01:17 AM
|
ROTM Director

yea, it would need to be twin exhaust exit from the muffler. just my opinion, but these cars need dual exhaust tips at the very least.

Old 09-05-2009 | 11:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a flow master its a 1 to 2 exhaust sounds pretty close to v8 and I love it

Quick Reply: Power Add ons