93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Poppin noise WTF

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Poppin noise WTF

1)Your engine uses two (2) crank position sensors. 24X (high res)and 3X (low res)
The 24X sensor behind the front damperstabilizes spark timing from idle to around 2000 RPM. If this sensor is bad the idle speed will be affected, the spark control will default to the 3X sensor, but the MIL will not be lit. If the scanner said the High Res Sensor is bad, you need to fix the sensor problem in order to make the engine idle properly.

2)The 3X sensor midway on the passenger side of the block provided the reference signals to the ignition control module, and if this sensor is bad the car will not start.

3) Exhaust leaks will cause noise, but will not cause misfires.

4) Any vacuum leak will affect idle speed.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

so if my car is misfiring at 3000 RPM wtf could that be cause it has no problems below 3000
its comin from the driver side of the engine

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

also it only happens when the car is cold

Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 PM

I might be off, Sounds somewhat what I have experienced, it was ticking sound though that I would hear. Turned out to be a bad plug wire that the boot of it was barly touching the plug it self. When the car was at idle I would put my hand on each wire and think it was the number 5, which ever one is closet to the fire wall on the driver side and i could feel the ticking from the wire. snugged up the wire to the plug and the ticking noise stopped. Its a easy check if you haven't already.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

i got new wires and they are on correct it wasmisfiring before i changed them
i dont really know wat to do i want my old camaro back

Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Overdrive Member

I thought you said you had a code for crank sensor going bad? Maybe I misunderstood. Not sure how the EGR is set up on a 3.4. I've seen it a couple ways. On my mustang the EGR was mounteddirectly to the intake, and on my Camaro a pipe runs from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve then another pipe to the intake. If it has pipes on either side, it depends on what side, as to if it can cause the high idle. Intake side, yes. Exhaust side, I doubt it. If your hole is on the exhaust side, that could be the source of your "popping" sound.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 AM

make sure u check to see if your spark plug wires are getting spark to your coil u might have a bad one of those that happened to me about 5 months ago

Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

this is wierd this morning after i idled my car down with the screw it isnt popppin anymore but ima do some test after school. ima seal the hole up in the EGR hose that connects to the intake and get my new exhaust friday

Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Pippin noise WTF

ORIGINAL: 3.4CamaroCDOG

so if my car is misfiring at 3000 RPM wtf could that be cause it has no problems below 3000
its comin from the driver side of the engine
I thought you said that the car had idling problems and that the scanner showed a bad crank position sensor. As I said before, the crank sensor in front stabilizes the spark timing from idle to about 2000 RPM. The crank sensor on the side of the block provides spark timing at startup and at over 2000 RPM where the front sensor leaves off. If the side sensor is bad, the engine will not start, and if the front sensor is bad, the idle will be bad.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pippin noise WTF

that y im sayin i fixed the idle problem a lil
i adjusted it down with the idle screw and now that i found a small whole in my egr hose i think thats makin it idle the rest of the way
the car starts up perfect and now it is not misfiring anymore just once every 10 cranks
i scanner said crank signal shorten

Quick Reply: Poppin noise WTF