93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Droid

[quote=libertyforall1776;385846]So maybe the LSD will help in the snow huh? The ASR is useful in the rain, but terrible on an incline with snow -- the car just bogs...

Limited slip may or may not help in snow. Problems occur when both rear wheels slip at the same time, then there is nothing holding the rear of the car in place, and the rear will slide off the crown of the road and into the ditch. Been there and done that a few times.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
4th Gear Member

You're normally better off with an open differential in the snow. One wheel will spin free while the other stays stationary or moves and a slower speed in attempt to move the car forward. If it's slick/wet snow, you're screwed either way. As Pete said, if both wheels end up slipping at the same time in your LSD, then you're headed sideways in a hurry.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Toneman07
i put the 3.73 gears in my 97 auto to improve top end fuel mileage while would you think it would destroy fuel mileage?
What? you understand that the motor needs to turn higher RPMs with higher gears? Higher RPMs means more air,, More air means more fuel. The reason they came out with Over drive transmission in the 80's was to get the motor to a lower RPM. The reason the LS1 can get 29 MPG at 75 MPH is the double overdrive tranny that has the motor at 1800 RPMs.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Yeah I completely ignored his post for the complete idiocy involved in making it.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
1st Gear Member

well prior to the gear i would do 80mph in over drive and be at 3200 rpms im now down to 1800 rpms at 80 mph...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
Yeah I completely ignored his post for the complete idiocy involved in making it.

alright **** this **** if im such an idiot i wont bother posting here anymore im out

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
You're normally better off with an open differential in the snow. One wheel will spin free while the other stays stationary or moves and a slower speed in attempt to move the car forward. If it's slick/wet snow, you're screwed either way. As Pete said, if both wheels end up slipping at the same time in your LSD, then you're headed sideways in a hurry.

I just got one question and i dont mean to be mean if it sounds like i am. Why in the hell would you want an lsd compared to a posi?

I mean do you guys even know what an lsd is? its a limited slip differential. Why would you want any slip at all? I mean i know it kicks in at a certian point but posi is the way i would go. But theres a couple hundred bucks just in that.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LSD has a lot better street manners then a true Posi. Also if you do a lot of intown driving a LSD will greatly out last a true posi. I would ask why would anyone want a true posi? The small amount amount they slip would have very little effect if any on you 1/4 mile time. Why would you want rubber motor mount? Or a choke? Why have a sway bar. Because it makes for a better all around car.

My 67 is a true posi. With little girls in the car it is tuff to go around a tight turn and keep a smooth ride.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
LSD has a lot better street manners then a true Posi. Also if you do a lot of intown driving a LSD will greatly out last a true posi. I would ask why would anyone want a true posi? The small amount amount they slip would have very little effect if any on you 1/4 mile time. Why would you want rubber motor mount? Or a choke? Why have a sway bar. Because it makes for a better all around car.

My 67 is a true posi. With little girls in the car it is tuff to go around a tight turn and keep a smooth ride.
Wow great point (Foot in my mouth) lol :X

Old 12-04-2009, 04:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Thank you Gorn you basically said what I was about to go off on :P A LSD/Posi isn't any better in the snow than an open diff... They might actually be slightly worse. Because an open diff will only spin 1 wheel freely while the other moves at a very low speed in order to get the car moving.

So... READ before you post and try to call me stupid.

And Toneman quit being a sandy vagina... You are COMPLETELY contradicting yourself. If your RPMs are lower, you went to a higher gear (lower number). If you think otherwise, you need to go read up on gearing and how it affects your engine. Or would you like me to assist?

Gear changes affect how many times the driveshaft turns over to how many times the wheels turn over(Usually X.XX:1). Going to a steeper gear means the driveshaft has to rotate that many times to turn the wheels over once. So a 3.08 gear means the driveshaft turns over 3.08 times before the wheels turn once. A 3.73 gear means the driveshaft has to turn over 3.73 times before the wheels turn once. Thus the motor will rev faster and spin at a higher RPM to achieve the same speed as before. So when you go to a steeper gear, the motor has to turn over more to achieve the same speeds as it did when it had a 3.08 or higher gear whatever that may be.

The end result is giving the engine a mechanical advantage over the inertia of the car. A quicker revving car means a faster car for you at the sacrifice of mileage.

Hope that helps. If I have to go more in depth, I will.

Quick Reply: performance mods