93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

PCM Flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Two Cylinders Short of Win
Default PCM Flash

Is there a way I could kind of "mimic" the flash that PCM does for our stock v6's? The site says their flash typically adds about 10-13 hp and 1-3 mpg. My friend ownz a shop and has some kind of OBDII scanner and a flash tool but I'm not sure what it is. Would we be able to make any changes with just his tool that could free up some horsepower? How about to make my shifts a little smoother? I'm just trying to see if theres anything I can do now in the meantime while my car is still stock since I won't be doing many performance upgrades until the summer.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Oh, and I realize that firmer shifts are usually what people want, but if we can do it at my friend's shop, I'd like to smoothen out the shifts, at least between 1st and 2nd for the winter. Then in the Spring set them to firm.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Droid

This is one of those things that if you don't know what you are doing, you can totally screw up the PCM/ECM to the point that the engine will not run. Get some instructions first, or better yet observe someone that knows what to do.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM

I mean he owns a shop and flashes things in and out of cars all the time, but not sure how many of those are performance. What is it about our cars that makes it so difficult and delicate? I'm not going to do it if its a huge deal, but what can the guys at pcm4less do for only $150 that someone else with experience can't? That's what I don't understand.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What you are talking about is a Tune. The stock "tune" has to meet all goverment requirments and assumes a fuel pressure range and a average compresstion ect...

When you buy something like PCMforless tune it is still a generic tune but without all the goverment requirments. Also if you have any mods like headers of a 160 deg thermo. This would change the generic fuel mapping to take some advantage. This would require a ton of research because you have to take into account all the variation off all the factory parts.

The best way to tune a car is on a Dyno. This will take every possible variation of all the parts you have and make them work optimal with each other. In a way it is easier the what the guys from PCMforless have to do because you are looking at the real data and making adjustment.

The reason Z28pete say you need to know what you are doing is because the process of tuning a car is complicated. When you "flash" a computer you are switching a program. Any mechinaic can flash a computer the question is where will your get the program from? A dyno tune will do pulls with another software package thats watchs and leans how to improve your tune. Then with the help of a skilled tech the baseline program is modified. A company like PCMsforless will take days review a single car and then years tweaking tune based on customer feed back.

For the do it yourselfer there is HPtune. To use that software with out a dyno it is all trial and error. For a guy who knows what an engine needs and when (like and old Carb tuning guy) the process of leanering HPtune is not to bad but for someone that does not know exactly the effect of each adjustment it can take years to get good at it.

sorry for all the typos I got to get to work.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yeah I've heard everywhere that HPTuners is the way to go or a Dynotune, which is fine later down the road, but I'm just wanting something for the meantime. I guess I was looking for a cheap alternative to PCM4less but PCM4less IS the cheap alternative.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Even if you want to someday get HPtune getting a starting point from PCMsforless is a real good idea for a beginner. PCMforless uses HPtune so if you tell them what you are doing they can give you some tips.

With Dyno tune you just show up with your car and a check

Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Overdrive Member

The software in the 3800 engine has been discribed by a few articles I have read to be as complex in the fuel mapping and timing profiles as the Z06 Corvette. A dyno shop in my area gave me an exasperated look when I was asking him about tuning my 3800 after a cam and headers. He said he would do it but he didnt like doing those engines because of the complexity. So messing around in this engine could backfire on you so be careful. If you are not sure leave it to the professionals!! I am not sure I want to put a cam in my new engine now after doing some research.

Massey

Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check out the PCMs4less I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about their tunes with off the shelf CAMs. Custom grinds your on your own.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah the plans for this car change constantly because when I start adding up the numbers for all my mods, in my head I keep saying "with just this much more $ I could get a Z". Thats why I want to leave all the mods on this car cosmetic as of now, hence the stock tune. We'll see when the Spring/Summer get here if I'm going to actually wanna put the $ into making this thing a little faster, or just leaving it an almost stock daily driver with some looks and comfort and grabbin a Z for a good price. Too much MONEYS.