overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ill try this and see if it works
https://camaroforums.com/forum/attac...4&d=1263072955
https://camaroforums.com/forum/attac...5&d=1263072991

if not go here and a ways down the thread i posted those ^^^ attachments look at them and see if they help.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/heat-problem-47226/

Last edited by craby; 02-21-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
yah what ^^^he said. lol nnew u sound like uv done the flush thing at least once. lol well said.
Haha, yeah. When I got my car, it had tons of coolant leaks. I'd replace one, only to find out that there was another. I've replaced just about everything in the cooling system except the heater core and the radiator (and thank GOD those didn't need replacing).

As for the problem at hand, I was going to mention that the temp **** might not be working. If you've flushed the heater core and still aren't getting heat, do the tests listed in Craby's last post (the first two links).

Let us know if it's your temp ****...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM

i think its the heater core so im going to try that just as soon as everything unthaws here. I can hear the temp **** changing so i dont think that would be it. on the other post i just read it sounds like the same symptons i am having so ill try that
Thanks
Travor

Old 02-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Well i got up to go to work this morning and it overheated so i took it home left it there all day when i got home from work i started tinkering with it. I first checked the coolant it was a little low so i added and filled it up and that solved that problem. Then i started to figure out the heat problem. I took off both lines going to the heater core and was going to flush them but my outside faucet was frozen solid so instead i tried pouring water in there and then i took and air hose and gave it a few bursts of air it built up pressure in the lines and then shot out all the rest of the fluid i did that a few times then refilled it started it up and now i have heat. The temp is riding at normal and it has great heat so im happy now. Thanks everyone for the help and input.
Thanks
Trevor

Old 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I dont like my title

Glad you got her right man!!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

good deal, might want to keep an eye on the coolant level for a week or so. maybe in a few days check the radiator when its cold to see if its full.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 PM

well it turns out im a liar. We just took it for a drive and after about 10 minutes lost heat and started to overheat. i think this time maybe its air in the lines or low coolant. It did fine up until about 40mph or so then the problems started.
Is there a way to check my fan to see if its working. I know on most cars i can hear the fan working and on this car i have not heard i at all. are they really quit on these cars or should i throw all that out and get a fan i can flip a switch to turn it on?
Thanks
Trevor

Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was wondering if u bled the system again after u did the heater core flush? if the system gets to low on coolant the heater will not work. that is one the first signs of low coolant and sometines will happen before the motor heats up. are u leaking coolant, when it sets? any water in the oil? what came out of the heater core when u flushed it?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

It may be a bad heater bypass hose. I had one of those go out a while back, and I could never figure out where the leak was because the coolant dripped onto the hot engine and evaporated pretty much instantly. The coolant that did drip down looked like it was coming from the water pump because the bypass pipe is right above that.

If you're losing coolant, that's probably the cause of your heater going out. I wouldn't be guessing a bad fan at this point, because driving 40mph is going to supply more air to the rad than your fans do. If you're overheating at that speed, it's more likely because there's a lack of coolant flow. Sounds like the hot coolant from the engine just isn't making it around to the heater core or to the radiator.

There are a few things that can restrict coolant flow. A clog anywhere, in any line. A leak, letting air in and releaving the pressure. A bad water pump...

If you're losing coolant, my guess is a leak somewhere. Lay out some towels under the car and run it idle until it gets to normal operating temp. If you see any drips on the towels, trace them upward and try to find where they're coming from.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if you have no heat and it is overheating and you flushed the whole system then the problem is one of two thing the thermostat or the water pump

Quick Reply: overheating