93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Default overheating

Well i did some searching on here and didnt find my exact problem so im gonna go ahead and ask

I just got a 94 3.4 thismorning with 180xxx on the car i test drove it and it did fine a few days ago, but when i took off today i made it about 5 miles away from town and i pulled over to switch drivers and i noticed antifreeze coming out of the overflow tank and we had no heat. so we waited till it cooled down and started heading back to town it would start to get to warm so i would shut it down but one time we were moving all the sudden we had heat and the temp dropped back to normal then it started to over heat immediatly after that. When i got home i replace the thermostat thinking that would be the problem we took it for a drive and it still got a little too hot so we went back home and i checked anti-freeze again it was a little low so i added more. I just took it out we had heat the whole time untill i pulled back in the drive then it lost all heat it never overheated but we had no heat in the car. SO any ideas why we still have no heat BTW the temp will rise a little at low rpm but once it gets a little higher it drops so maybe it couldbe the water pump. I also seen a lot about air pockets in the lines could that be it
Thanks in advance
Trevor

Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you bleed the system? That should get air out unless there's a leak somewhere.

It sounds like you've got a clogged line to, from, or in your heater core. That would cause the lack of heat, and would cause a lack of coolant flow whenever the heater is turned on. Try driving it with the heater off, and see if the car overheats or not. If it stays cool with the heater off, try backflushing the heater core.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I dont like my title

yea sounds like you need to bleed the system youve got air pockets traped in it so you need to bleed them out.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 PM

Wow! you guys are fast thanks i was going to flush it tomorrow so should i try bleeding it first or do it after i flush it
Thanks again for the fast responses

Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 PM

Btw how hard is it to replace the heater core on a camaro ive done it on and old bronco 2 and on my jeep and they were not to difficult but i have a feeling this is gonna be a little harder. Dont it normally leak on the passenger side floor if the heater core is bad?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I dont like my title

yea that usually means its bad on most you have to take the dash off idk never changed on in a camaro.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when a cooling system gets to low the heater core does not get fluid so the heater will not put out hot air and the temp will go up and down as the system gets fluid. i think thats what probly happened the first time. all the other times was because the system was not blead right. the forth gen camaros are a pita when it comes to getting the air out. park the car on a hill with the front on the up side.
when u bleed it first fill the radiator to the point that its full but not draining back into the overflow hole. open the bleeder at the thermostat and when u see coolant close then do the one under the tb if u have one there. then open the one by the alt if u have one there, i didnt get any fluid out of this one untill the motor was running. refill the radiator as before. then start the car with the cap off. the water level may drop so fill as it does. after it quits dropping put the cap back on and open the bleeders one at a time again to let the air out. as i said do it with the front of the car on the up side of a hill or driveway. then take the car for a drive a block or two down the road and back and bleed and refill one more time.

Last edited by craby; 02-19-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I dont like my title

aslo when i bleed somthing i get a bud to keep the revs up to about 2-3k just seems to work a lil better it belch's out air more cuz its casuing the system to curculate more.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by itsmyjeep2
Btw how hard is it to replace the heater core on a camaro ive done it on and old bronco 2 and on my jeep and they were not to difficult but i have a feeling this is gonna be a little harder. Dont it normally leak on the passenger side floor if the heater core is bad?
yes they usually do. changing the heater core is a pita but thats the way it is on the newer cars. they are on the passenger side under the glove box. dont have to take the dash out to change the heater core but almost. lol

Old 02-20-2010, 12:35 AM
I dont like my title

yea its damn near taking it out ik on most newer cars ive done has to come completely out.Bout to do one on my moms 2002 olds bravada here pretty soon and re paint the suv rack aswell for her gotta help family ya know lol.

Quick Reply: overheating