93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Over Heating???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Over Heating???

Ok so I drove over to Wal-Mart to get some stuff for school and on the way back my car got up to about 230-235 degrees. I pulled over and shut it down, popped the hood, felt the radiator cap to see if it was hot. It was COLD as if the car hadn't been started all day. I felt both radiator hoses to see if they were hot. The top one going to the thermostat was really really hot. The bottom one leading to the over fill tank was hot but not quite as hot as the top one. So I got back in a drove home. It floated between 220 and 235 the whole way home. It seemed as if the temp would slightly drop if I accelerated fast. If I hit the brake the temp would go back up. If I was cruising at a steady speed it would stay at about 225-230. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong here??? I'm thinking maybe the thermostat is stuck. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Droid

Did you check the coolant level by removing the radiator cap? Is the water pump belt still there and tight. Is the fan going on when the temp is up?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I couldn't check the coolant level because it was too hot to take off the cap. The water pump was good and the fan ran fine. I just checked the coolant and the radiator was empty. Hmmm. I wonder where all my coolant went...

Old 08-31-2010, 06:30 PM

yeah man your thermistat is sticking ive had that exact problem with one of my camaros before its a cheap and easy fix

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the thermostat wasn't opening because there was hardly any coolant in it. It's good now. I topped it off after it cooled down and its not over heating now so we're good lol

Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
4th Gear Member

You still need to find out where all your coolant went!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It was low from when my heater hose blew out. Luckily that happened sitting in the driveway. I filled the radiator but I didn't let the car run to get the antifreeze into the motor and out of the radiator. Therefor the radiator was empty and all the coolant was in the motor

Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 AM

i realize the thread is a few days old and that you have the problem fixed, but i see that you have the 3.4l engine, be very wary of lower intake manifold gaskets, idk if you are aware of them but apparently they are pretty faulty, fel-pro should have a new gasket set for this but i have blown mine 3 times in my 3.4l firebird
also my water pump constantly goes, ive heard having a different belt tensioner may help i believe the brand i was always sold was dayco, ask around for another brand

just wanted to give some friendly advise, hope this hasnt happened to you and hope you are already aware of it

Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well luckily for me, I had the timing cover gasket, water pump, thermostat, timing chain and sprockets, radiator, spark plugs, plug wires, wheel bearings, AC compressor, temp sensor, and O2 sensors all replaced recently lol. I also did a FULL coolant flush and put new oil and tranny fluid in it. So I should be set. So all that and my belt tensioner is pretty good. I think my intake gasket may be getting weak tho because my car runs rough for just a few seconds when I first start it up in the morning... I'm not sure what it is but my best bet would be some sort of gasket is getting ready to go. Thanks alot for the input!

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

sounds like its all going good then, you do all the work yourself i assume?
i have done all that to my bird minus the bearing and the a/c, ive even done the heater core and the cat converter. i have been told that the egr is a problem on a few of these cars and i know my cat converter is going out again(my intake blew severely getting coolant everywhere, my air intake was filled with the mix, the pan was completely mixed with it and it went through my full exhaust as well, not a pretty sight) if you dont mind me asking, how many miles you have on your 'maro?

Quick Reply: Over Heating???