93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

oil pressure low....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default oil pressure low....

well reading through the site it seems my oil pump maybe going to hell. my oil gauge keeps going up when i accelerate but when i stop the car the gauge reads zero and the check gauge light comes on. at first i thought it was just the gauge being stupid but then the check gauge light went on something is up. anyways where can i find a good oil pump for car...like a website.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: oil pressure low....

I suspect you bearings are worn out rather than the pump. The pump is the best lubricated part of the engine. But if you need a pump, a stock pump will do fine.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

the bearings.............ok im stupid now hehe huh wheres the bearing again

Old 07-29-2007, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

wait the bearing inside the pump or else where.......and how much psi is it suppose to be?

Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear member

He is referring to the pump bearings, much like any other pump on the vehicle. Bearings take the workload and fail the most. Have it looked into because no oil is a bad thing.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Droid

I really was thinking about the main and connecting rod bearings. Worn out engine bearings = low oil or no oil pressure.
As a rule of thumb, the oil pressure should increase by 10 PSI for each 1000 RPM. So at 5000 RPM the oil pressure should be at least 50 PSI with the engine fully warmed up

Old 07-29-2007, 10:29 PM

Before you go sinking money into parts and such, get a mechanical guage and hook it up to see the true oil pressure. It could be something as simple as your oil pressure sending unit malfunctioning. I had it happen to me.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

another thing ive notices is that ive been burning oil fast, like every two weeks or so i have to put a little more than a quart of oil. i may have a internal oil leak or external....god my cars going to hell eeerrrrrrrrr.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you leaking oil?

Try switching to Full Synthetic oil -- the SuperTech brand at Wal-Mart is cheap enough, and it seems to lubricate better than conventional oil, and you may be able to go longer between changes... (the SuperTech oil filters are also better than Fram) I am not sure that burning oil is such a bad thing, and if your are driving your car hard, you should expect some oil burning.

Also make sure your car's cooling system is in top shape -- do a flush if you haven't lately, install the Prestone flush kit, and check your thermostat and water pump...

Old 07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

well looking back i do push my car hard so that may answer that loss of oil. moving to synthetic hhmm, i did at one point use 20 50w and now using 10 30w, dont know if that means anything but thats what ive been using lately. moving to synthetic, i may concider that in the near future. ok cooling system wise, a few days ago i found a small leak around the radaitor cap but have sealed it with a sealer from autozone (my car had been overheating lately but it wasnt leaking near the freeze plugs where it usually leaks from, there is one plug that looks really bad and leaking very little, i will be replacing that soon)all the hozes look good, the thermostat i just recently been replaced with a new 180 degree, the water pump was replace last september and looks fine to me, i did that when i changed the head gaskets seals and of course cut the heads. i did flush the coolent like 3 times and btw the radiator i bought new like summer of 2005.

Quick Reply: oil pressure low....