93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

OIL GAUGE

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 05:52 PM
|
1st Gear Member
Default OIL GAUGE

is it just my car or does everyones do this... i have a 96 camaro rs and the oil gauge goes up when im actually moving, but when i come to a stop it goes down.. not all the way but a little lower than half way.. and the gas gauge does the same... does anyone know why?

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:24 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: OIL GAUGE

LMFAO oil gauge does that and for ur fuel idk it might be broken or somthing but dam thats funny sry

Old 11-13-2007 | 06:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Oil pump isn't spinning as fast at idle, therefore the pressure isn't as great. Your gauge is fine. When slowing down the fuel sloshes to the front of the tank due to momentum. This makes the level look lower to the sending unit, therefore your gauge will read that much lower. Your fuel gauge is fine, unless it's going from full to less than half.

Old 11-13-2007 | 07:34 PM
|
1st Gear Member

ok just making sure... and no the gas gauge goes down less than a quarter.. then when i get going again it goes back up...

Old 11-13-2007 | 08:04 PM
Overdrive Member

It's fine. If you'll notice, on some hard turns your fuel gauge will do that as well.

Old 11-13-2007 | 11:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

Your fuel guage is ****tin the bed. Its a common problem. The sending unit is sending wrong info to your computer thats why its moving. Just ignore it, to replace it you have to also replace the fuel pump, its a one peice unit. Roughly $450. for the part. And for your oil pressure guage, dude, read a book.

Old 11-14-2007 | 12:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

Oil pressure sensor is bad. That should explain the fluxuating oil temp gauge. As for the fuel gauge flux, its either the same thing (fuel pressure sensor) or the actual gauge on the instrument cluster. What 02StanGT said on his 1st post about the fuel sloshing around and giving mixed readings is correct, but I'm not enitrely positve that is your problem. I ocassionally go around "S" turns at 55-60 MPH and don't notice the gas gauge pinging around +- 1/4 tank.

Old 11-14-2007 | 10:25 AM

When slowing down the fuel sloshes to the front of the tank due to momentum. This makes the level look lower to the sending unit, therefore your gauge will read that much lower. Your fuel gauge is fine, unless it's going from full to less than half.
Mine does that, too. It doesn'twhen it has low fuel, presumably because there isn't much fuel to move around but when I fill the tank it moves by maybe 1/8th to 1/4 or so. I figured it was something like that because once the car has actually come to a complete stop, the gauge starts climbing again.

Old 11-14-2007 | 11:23 AM
|
1st Gear Member

same here.. and i have noticed after a hard run igoes down more than usual.. then comes back up... just wanted to make sure

Old 11-15-2007 | 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Banks

Oil pressure sensor is bad. That should explain the fluxuating oil temp gauge
First its not a oil temp guage, its oil PSI. Second, its not bad. The oil pump spins faster with higher engine RPM. This increases your oil PSI. So when your reving @ about 3500 RPM, its gonna be alot higher than @ idle of 750 RPM. The fuel guage as said before is an issue in the later modle Camaros. They tend to wear out. What I did, is figured out what I got MPG to a full tank. I reset my trip odometer everytime I fill up so I know when I am going to need fuel.

Quick Reply: OIL GAUGE