93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need your guys opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default need your guys opinion

in the v6, what is better the 3.4 or the 3.8?? and why? and what is your opinion on the auto trans?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Well...

I say 3.8L for many reasons... But I'll give just a couple.

1. OBVIOUS power increase. It'll take full boltons on a 3.4 just to get close to a stock 3.8L.

2. Gas mileage is the same, if not better.

3. Responds MUCH better to modifications (if you're into that going fast stuff).

4. Easier to find parts for.

5. One of the better V6s ever built and will damn near outlast a nuclear explosion if you just take care of it and don't rag on it... Rag on it, spin a bearing just like any other motor if you rag it.

I could keep going but you get the point.

Auto transmission...

More fun to have a stick when you want to play. But consistency, go-fast potential, and ease of heavy traffic driving all play the part of the automatic.

If you think a 5 speed is faster than an auto, I will smack you for being ignorant and then tell you how horribly wrong you are and why.

And the auto will also outlast the 5 speed even if you beat the living **** outta the car or even if you baby it. Clutches will eventually burn up even if you baby it cuz you'll likely ride the clutch pretty often or at least on hills. Nothing but torque converter clutches to **** up in the auto. And even then, even if you beat your car to death, TCC is less likely to burn up than a manual clutch =P

Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear member

the 3.4 is DREADFULLY slow, i would deff go for the 3.8...well in all reality i would go for the 5.7 but thats just me lol, and if you want it to feel like a muscle or sports car, u need a stick shift, automatics are a little easier for city driving and what not, but manual i think is alot more fun, not to mention gives you better MPG, in my experiences anyway.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

well i have the 5.7 (hence the pic) but im looking for a v6 cuz they get decent gas mileage, im lookin not to spend alot but if its got a solid motor and trans im all into the fix upper kinda car, keeps me busy when im bored haha cool but in the end they both are really good motors right? if i cant find 3.8 in my price range?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by evilkal
...If you think a 5 speed is faster than an auto, I will smack you for being ignorant and then tell you how horribly wrong you are and why.
Doesn't anybody know how to shift fast any more?
EDIT: Oops, I forgot to add my "opinion". When it comes to cubes, bigger is better....end of debate!!!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, I wouldn't give up my stick shift for anything. There's a fun factor with this thing that you only get from a manual trans, mainly on roads that aren't straight

3.8's are very nice, but 3.4's have much more potential than people like to give them. Fuel economy wise, the 3.8 will do better with these heavy cars, and the t5 will give you better economy when compared to at 4l60e. I get high 20's with my camaro on the highway, and that's with a built engine and 4.10 gears, not to mention big fat tires.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

if youre burning up clutches when youre babying it then you cant drive... and ill tell you right now that sticks with a decent driver will beat the exact same car in auto, UNTIL you get to high horsepower... if were talking stock or anywhere under say 400 hp the stick should win, i know ive done it,,, learn how to drive a stick and youll never go back unless youre building a drag car

Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Auto's are the best hands down for drag racing, especially bracket racing. For a while that is, until you start making serious power and need to move to a liberty or lenco, then it goes back to being a man car

Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

obviously the 3.8 is gonna have more output being a bigger engine and all but i get tired of people just passin off the 3.4 like its not even close to being a real car. the 3.4 wont be as beastly as the 3.8 but with work they can be an awesome solid workhorse that can put out some serious power...

Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I just say that if you go from 8 to6 at all..you wont be happy lol..but my 3.8 is bone stock and its fast enough to beat some of these hondas and such around here..not to mention your insurance is gonna drop through the floor..

Quick Reply: need your guys opinion