93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default need help

I have a 94 Camaro with 3.4 lt I need help figuring out whats wrong with it first off I was having problems with the cooling fans not coming on but I cant figure it out I searched the forums and no one else can seem to figure it out ethier so I un pluged the temp sensor and the stay on now so that's really not a problem any more my real problem is that it hesitates when I punch the gas and some times it has a hard time starting I thought it was the fuel pump but it stays running and I can hear the pump prime up when I turn the key to the on position I can push in the serader valve on the fuel rail and it seems to have pressure maybe its a sensor or some thing I don't know im stumped and also it has a straight pipe instead of a cat converter what are the draw backs from that should I spend the money and have it replaced.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How hot was the engine getting? The fan isn't going to kick on till the temp reaches the 3/4 mark on your gauge. Were you getting the hesitation before you unplugged the temp sensor? Doing that would keep your system in open loop mode, which will make a warm engine run rich. That could be the cause of the hesitation if you weren't getting it before. Also, your check engine light should now be on as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yes the light is on but I think its due to there being no cat and yes I was getting hesation before I unplugged the temp sensor if I drive in the city the car was overheating then if I drive on the highway it was normal im not sure why its hesitating some times it starts hard I have to use starting fluid but once its started it idles fine

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Post-cat oxy sensors weren't till OBD2, 1996-up cars, so having no cat would not be tripping the check engine light. That also answers your straight pipe drawback question...there is none.
You need to find someone who can scan your OBD1 system, so you can avoid shooting in the dark. The code that's tripping the light is likely to lead you to the problem, otherwise you, or anybody else here, would just be guessing.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya that's what I figured I was looking around and came across some ones post about the right scan tool I looked on ebay and found it for 90 bucks so im gonna go that route

Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the temp sensor is upluged the motor is running in open loop all the time. running rich (as it will in open loop) will foul plugs and 02 sensors and once engine warms up can cause rough idle. try testing temp sensor. i believe the 3.4 has two temp sensors, which did you unplug? i think this ohm conversion table is the same for your sensor 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles engine coolant temp sensor should be at the front of the intake.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Covered most of that in posts 2 & 3.
His need to get the engine running by using starting fluid is telling me he has a fuel supply problem though.
While getting the codes scanned, also check your fuel pressure. If it's low, you're not getting enough fuel. If too high, you're flooding the engine.