93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Need help 3.8 v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you just put coolant in the radiator and not in the engine by disconnecting the top hose and pouring directly into the engine its possible you are still low. What I usually do is let warm up to halfway so the thermostat opens and then wait for it to cool then top it off.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We just added water to the radiator, and we did bleed the air out of the system for about 3 min. So with it just having water in the radiator be why it was running hotter then usual. it was not getting way up on the reading but it was just hotter then usual he said.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Im not saying for sure but might be it

Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by BrianFol
So with it just having water in the radiator be why it was running hotter then usual. it was not getting way up on the reading but it was just hotter then usual he said.
You must have still had some air trapped in the system. Since straight water dissipates heat almost twice that of a 50/50 mix of water & antifreeze/coolant, the answer to your question would be no. But, you don't want to run straight water. Antifreeze/coolant prevents rust, is a lubricant, and raises the boiling point/lowers the freezing point of water.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We added a 50/50 mix to the system today and have been driving it for about 30 mile's why stopping and going around town and it is working a lot better then just water.
The temp is by to usual now.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That does not make any sense. Something else is going on. As Camaro 69 said the reasons for coolants is NOT the heat transfer. Water will transfer heat to the radiator as fast or faster then coolant. All the benifits of running coolant come over the long haul or at extreams. Even if the coolant was a little better that would mean your system was maxed out at Idle or in nomral driving. You system should handle Wide open thorttle on a hot day with the AC on for at least 10 minutes.

You most likely have another issue that is intermitte or you did not have all the air bleed out last time. I would watch it closely.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm thinking that we did not have all of the air bleed out of the system the first time

Old 10-30-2012, 07:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My 97 had the lower intake manifold issue, coolant got in the motor, developed a knock, was abandond and I got it for 450 dollars with a title. The motor was toast, but picked up a used one for 150 dollars along with a transmission, cross member, struts, and some odds and ends for the interior of my car.

I do recommend you take care of that coolant system. A good flush will help you out! Gets the DEX-Cool mud out, highly recommended! Then have it pressure tested to see if your head gaskets are toast. If they are then you are in for a lot of work.