93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

my car sputters after oil change & coil replacment

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Default my car sputters after oil change & coil replacment

i changed my oil and replaced a coil and TRIED replacing my spark plugs but couldnt get them out w/ the tool i bought and since then my car sputters for a second as i approached 55mph. now it passes 55 without sputtering but it sputters when i accellerate too quickly. any one know whats wrong with my car? could that be a spark plug problem? i'm thinking maybe i damaged one trying to remove it... any help would be awesome.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: my car sputters after oil change & coil replacment

You know you have to fill it back up with oil after you drain it, right?

jk, is you SES light on? You said you tried to remove the spark plugs. Is it possible you loosened one so that its not in the cylinder? make sure all the wires are tight too. If you ses light is on, have it scanned. A misfire would confirm a spark problem.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear member

did you make sure you put the plugs wires back on right cause that could cause a musfire but not a terrible on. try switching the wires and see what happends. P.S did it stutter before you replaced the coil and oil.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 73camaroSS

try switching the wires and see what happends.
Bad idea. Trying doing it the right way. learn the firing order, make sure that the right plug wire is going to the right coil pack. If there is a possible skip, if you have a wire that is arking out, there is an easy way to find out. And it snot by pulling wires off one by one. Get a spray bottle full of water. Wait till its dark. Then spray each wire @ the plug and coil, if the sparking is ju,ping, you will see the flash. It has to be dark to do it.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 AM

SES = service engine soon??

yeah it comes on from time to time. but it did that before i changed the oil & coil, infact that's why i did it. i'm positive that plug didn't budge. it's in the exact same spot that it was in before i tried getting it out. i only messed with one of the spark plugs but i'll double check that i put the wires on the coils in the right place and securely.

question: is there some kind of secret to getting the plugs out? i have a universal joint t shaped ratchet and it reaches fine but their tight as hell, i cant budge them. does the temp of the car matter?

Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

no secret. I find its eaiser to drop the Y pipe and do it. Its easy to take off on my car, so its no big deal.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Put a pipe on your ratchet end for extra leverage -- it will make your job much easier...

ORIGINAL: ggordie
question: is there some kind of secret to getting the plugs out? i have a universal joint t shaped ratchet and it reaches fine but their tight as hell, i cant budge them. does the temp of the car matter?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Im guessing its a 3.4 liter. The plugs arent that bad to do, you just need a swivel spark plug socket, a couple extensions, and some patiance (and in my case, a quarter pack of smokes). Chances are they are corroded in. Mine were, anti sieze is your best friend for spark plugs. Also make sure there is not a build up of gunk on the nut of the plug keeping you from getting the socket on all the way.
As for the miss, Im betting you did not get the wire back on all the way, or damaged it taking it off. Get back under the hood and change your plugs and wires, your cat will thank you .