93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

My camero woun't start! Need some ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Default My camero woun't start! Need some ideas!

So if i spray ether it starts up, i had someone replace a fuel pump but still no go... someone told me it could be related to an oil sensor or something like that but i have no idea.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

What tests have you performed? I suggest testing the fuel pressure, and checking to see if you have fuel going into the intake. If it is starting with ether that would indicate you have spark at least (and probably air). Next check for fuel and any air leaks... but I have a feeling it will be fuel delivery related.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you dont know about cars you should find a good mechanic and just let him fix it. Replacing parts because someone in a post said it this or that is never good idea. These cars are not simple to work on then you need atlease a basic understanding of how fuel injection works. Replacing a fuel pump on a car that has not had a fuel pressure test is a waste of time. You didn't even mention what year car it is. Heck you could have a problem with the chip on your key for all we know.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Sorry for the lack of detail, i bought this 95 Camero 3.4L v6 from someone the other day the guy said he had a "mechanic" replace the fuel pump.. but didn't help then he said that it can be the the controller on the pump... 300$ part according to the guy no money to spend.. blah blah

I work with Japanese cars and i understand how things work, this is my first American car, but i am sure things work pretty similar.

My buddy mentioned that if there is no oil pressure signal the fuel delivery gets cut off but that makes no sense to me.

My guess is either the guy used a fuel pump from the junk yard that does not work or he connected it wrong. Or it is the fuel controller or w/e it is called in these cars.

So pretty much i am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction so i don't spend too long trying to figure it out on my own, you help is much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Overdrive Member

First idea: Try turning the key. ;-)

So it turns over fine? You have to provide a more detailed description of what happens, and what you tried. Test the fuel pressure to start. Is your battery good? Alternator is charging the battery?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by infowire
Sorry for the lack of detail, i bought this 95 Camero 3.4L v6 from someone the other day the guy said he had a "mechanic" replace the fuel pump.. but didn't help then he said that it can be the the controller on the pump... 300$ part according to the guy no money to spend.. blah blah

I work with Japanese cars and i understand how things work, this is my first American car, but i am sure things work pretty similar.

My buddy mentioned that if there is no oil pressure signal the fuel delivery gets cut off but that makes no sense to me.

My guess is either the guy used a fuel pump from the junk yard that does not work or he connected it wrong. Or it is the fuel controller or w/e it is called in these cars.

So pretty much i am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction so i don't spend too long trying to figure it out on my own, you help is much appreciated.
Fuel pump controler? No clue what that is. Fuel pump relay? No where near $300. Sounds like he was clueless. There are dozens of things it could be if its not the pump.

The reason the power goes thru the oil sending unit is a matter of safty. Its assumed as long as the motor is running it is consumming fuel. If there is no fuel pressure the system assumes the motor is not running it shuts the fuel down. If car bust a fuel line in wreck 45 PSI will make for nice flame thrower. Normaly the oil pressure unit failure will let the car start but it will then shut right back off. There is a time delay that bypasses the fuel pressure sending unit for the first few seconds to get the car started.

Search this site for Fuel pump. I think a couple people have gone thru the process.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-14-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Thank you for the input, yes the car cranks fine. I will test the fuel pressure if it has any. Then ill check the relay... then other fuses and then the fuel pump. I will post my updates