93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

musicman wants to go faster

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: musicman wants to go faster

Exhaust:
- If you get the Pacesetter headers the Y-pipe is included so you wont have to buy it seprately.

- If you deleted the car you going to need exhaust piping that is about the same lenth as the cat to weld in its place. Or you can gut the cat out like I did, and weld it to the Y-pipe. If you do this, it also appears that you have a cat, incase you ever get a quick check.

- Magnaflow & flowmaster cat backs both give you about 11 rwhp. This or the CAI should be the first thing you install.

Engine:
CAI - There are several out there for the 95-97 3.8s. You can get an Ebay intake & Put a K&N cone filter on it and it will work. Or you can opt for an exspensive intake.

Nitrous - for just 100 shot, I dont think you will need a new few pump. You should replace your injectors though. If you want to do 150 shot or more down the road, you will need a bigger fuel pump and you may want to get some 36# injectors from a GTP. Plenty of people at www.fullthrottlev6.com have those for sale at a good price. For different Nitrous kits look at www.summitracing.com www.3800performence.com www.texas-speed.com
All three of them have different brand kits for your car. You can always change the nozzles after you get the kit to adjust the size of the shot.

Cam - for your cam, I would suggest abbott racing. http://www.abbottracingheads.com/gm3800.htm Scroll down about 2/3rds of the page for their cams. These will really take a lot of time off your 1/4 ET, compared to the cams on summitracing that are nearly stock.

Fuel pump - Like I said eariler, as long as you keep it under a 100 shot you wont need a bigger fuel pump. Just make sure you have a fresh set of injectors in, as after 11-15 years yours are most likely clogged a little.

Alm Driveshaft - Any driveshaft from any 93-02 F-body is interchangable. So, if you find one from a Trans am, or a WS6, or a Z28 or what ever, it will fit your car as long as its a 93-02. Your best bet to find one of these is www.ebay.com exspect to pay about $150

Rear end Gears - I would suggest 3.73 gears for you. Look threw the classifieds at LS1 tech, there is sure to be at least one person selling them.

LSD - If you want to change you differental, I would also look on LS1 tech for a replacment diff. Or you can find a rear end from another f-body and completly swap the rear end. And then swap the gears into the new rear. All V8 F-bodies (93-02) had an LSD plus sellect V6s with Y87. You would have to check the door code to see if a V6 has the rear you need.

Tyres - Get some Drag Radials for the track. No way do you wanna line up your car in the slicks only lanes. You will also want the DRs on seperate 15" wheels, instead of your 17" wheels. That way you can just change out the rear tires before you got to the track.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

As far as 1/4 mile times go, it depends on your tranny. If your looking for faster times hopfully you have an auto. I would suggest a 3500 stall.

With all the same mods as you listed, with the 3500 converter and 4.10s instead of 3.73s. A firebird 3.8 ran 13.53 @ 100.2 n/a and 12.26 @ 109.3 with the 100 shot

Old 05-31-2008, 02:56 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

This is probably the only time I wish I had an automatic, I've got the 5 speed.

The 373 gears is interesting, is that just the optimum gearing for a v6? Or would my 390 idea be better. I see that with an auto, lower gears are better, this makes sense.

As soon as this motorcycle sells, then I'll start ordering parts, starting with the rear end. If I understood you right, I can find a rear end that came stock with 373 gears right? If not, that's no problem, I found a positraction rear end for roughly $100, and summit sells all the stuff to install new gears.

Thanks a million stig, this is exactly what I needed.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicman

This is probably the only time I wish I had an automatic, I've got the 5 speed.

The 373 gears is interesting, is that just the optimum gearing for a v6? Or would my 390 idea be better. I see that with an auto, lower gears are better, this makes sense.

As soon as this motorcycle sells, then I'll start ordering parts, starting with the rear end. If I understood you right, I can find a rear end that came stock with 373 gears right? If not, that's no problem, I found a positraction rear end for roughly $100, and summit sells all the stuff to install new gears.

Thanks a million stig, this is exactly what I needed.
If you have a 5-spd you are going to need to beef up the tranny a little. That tranny is made for V6s and probly cant handle 275 hp if that. You would have to talk to someone who knows more about transmissions for that info.

3.73 gears are popular gears and a good comprimise between street & strip leaning towards racing. 3.42 are good gears for street & strip leaning towards street use.

I dont believe 3.73 ever came on any stock f-body. They are aftermarket, so you would have to buy them from someone who already has them (LS1 tech) or buy them new somewhere. And then install them on your new rear end.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok, now I know what to do. Hopefully I'll start pulling this thing apart after next week. School is done now, and I don't need to commute anywhere now, not until the end of september.

It's odd sitting here and wishing I had an auto, that's a strange feeling. I guess I'll call a few tranny shops and see about strengthening my 5 speed. No nitrous for now, but my clutch is giving up on life, and I'll have the tranny out. Might as well see about strengthening it, and installing an aluminum driveshaft. I want to knock all the drivetrain in one shot (rear end, tranny, clutch, driveshaft), then exhaust. I think that will kill my budget alone. if it doesn't, then I'll work on the nitrous.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

One more thing, if you just get enough money for nitrous. Dont do it right away, keep saving. Save untill you have enough money for both the nitrous and the camshaft. And do injectors at the same time. That way you will only need to dynotune it once and it will save you a few hundres bucks.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:15 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

That's a good idea.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

You're a good idea....ANYWAYS keep this thread up, i was thinking about doing all of this to my car very soon so i'm likin the info, thanks guys, and musicman for starting it....

Old 05-31-2008, 07:13 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Should it be a sticky? I dunno, seems like more sixers will ask the same question in the future. At least stig's info should be a sticky.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member

As 73 calls it, it is a one-tire-frier. haha wellcome to my world musicman hahaha lol. its not all bad i can take corners better than most cars 35 years newer.

Quick Reply: musicman wants to go faster