93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

musicman wants to go faster

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: musicman wants to go faster

300 rwhp will shatter a 10 bolt if you launch hard on it. if you are using street tires then no, you wont break it. slicks and a hard launch can definitly break that if youre on juice. a posi doesnt strengthen your rear, it just gives you better tractions.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I know the posi doesn't make it stronger, lol.

I thought the z28's made about 300 horse? And it looks like drag radials or dot slicks will be what I have to use. My uncle's scrap yard is having a half off sale as a lead in for their yard. Included in the sale is a 4th gen trans am with a posi rear end. So, about $100 give or take $50. The sale is next weekend.

Maybe I can just launch on motor, then give it the gas as soon as I'm moving. As long as I don't launch on gas, it should be fine right? Still curious about the clutch.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Ninja Administrator

yeah, if you lunch on motor you will be fine. i just dont think you will go 12s doing it that way.

and yes the z does 300rwhp, and if you strap slicks to it you can bust that rear pretty easy.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Where's bignic? He should have some stuff to say about this. I need a little help with locating parts in my parts list.

So, 12's are fading away. I don't want to burn the engine up using more nitrous, I think 100 is its max for stock internals. Shoot. Will a Z get into the 12's easy, or is that rear end still the problem? I can't afford to build a custom rear for it, is there another rear that will bolt in there? Or is it going to be the weak spot forever? I thought the appropriate low gears would put less strain on it. 13's aren't what I was hoping for, that's just too slow. I want to go kill as many v8's as I can with a sixxer, and 13's will get me there, but...... I dunno.

Oh! I forgot to add something to the list, that tuning kit from hp tuners, and a dyno tune after everything is done. That'll give it a little more.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member

What do you need help locating?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:08 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

off road y-pipe
appropriate nitrous kit (wet or dry? How should it be fed to the engine? Fogger in the intake tube? I dunno.)
Hi Flow fuel pump (only if I need it, if I don't, ignore it)
Proper tires, will buy used wheels to mount them.

I think that's it.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: musicman

Where's bignic? He should have some stuff to say about this. I need a little help with locating parts in my parts list.

So, 12's are fading away. I don't want to burn the engine up using more nitrous, I think 100 is its max for stock internals. Shoot. Will a Z get into the 12's easy, or is that rear end still the problem? I can't afford to build a custom rear for it, is there another rear that will bolt in there? Or is it going to be the weak spot forever? I thought the appropriate low gears would put less strain on it. 13's aren't what I was hoping for, that's just too slow. I want to go kill as many v8's as I can with a sixxer, and 13's will get me there, but...... I dunno.

Oh! I forgot to add something to the list, that tuning kit from hp tuners, and a dyno tune after everything is done. That'll give it a little more.
the rear's life depends on how much you shock it. People are deep into the 10s on the stock rear, but If im not mistaken this is in automatics which are much nicer to that rear. With what you mentioned I think you will be just over 300rwhp, but waiting until 2nd to spray will hurt you. So you spend the first 50mph on 200rwhp.

a Z will hit consistant 12s with full boltons. but thats because it has the power to launch softer and make up for it later on. the v6 generally doesnt have this luxury. theres a vid of a stock z going 12.6 on drag radials but that rear is going to pop any day being driven like that.

i should emphasize, you may get 12s with that combo, my advice was just not to get your hopes too high. i think lower 13s is more realistic.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Overdrive Member

All the headers I can think of for the 3.8 come with a y-pipe. The y-pipe doesn't come with a cat. When you install them, just take your cat off. Not sure about the nitrous. Hi flo pump, Walbro would be a good choice.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

all of these parts are easy to find, a off road y pipe just means no cat. ebay for that. walbro 255 pump would be fine with adjustable fuel regulator for future mods, tires come down to personal opinon, talk to some drag people. find a local race shop/dyno, talk to them, tell them what your goals are, they can point you in the right direction for you N.O.S setup

Old 05-31-2008, 02:06 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Will I need the new pump, or is it just something I should do when I get the rear end out?

No emissions out here, and I was thinking off road pipe so that the new catback system would bolt to it.

the rear's life depends on how much you shock it. People are deep into the 10s on the stock rear, but If im not mistaken this is in automatics which are much nicer to that rear. With what you mentioned I think you will be just over 300rwhp, but waiting until 2nd to spray will hurt you. So you spend the first 50mph on 200rwhp.

a Z will hit consistant 12s with full boltons. but thats because it has the power to launch softer and make up for it later on. the v6 generally doesnt have this luxury. theres a vid of a stock z going 12.6 on drag radials but that rear is going to pop any day being driven like that.

i should emphasize, you may get 12s with that combo, my advice was just not to get your hopes too high. i think lower 13s is more realistic.
Well, I guess I'll have to take 13's then. It'll have to do until I can build an engine with some stronger connecting rods to handle more nitrous. Will my time improve if I launch on gas, but if I use a tire that won't grab to tight? I'm thinking if I spin the tires during the launch, that will take the strain off the rear end, and as soon as they hook, the 300 horse is already there. Or just launch easy on the gas, not too much throttle, but with sticky tires. I think there's a way around this. My times will improve with just a posi in my car, I kept spinning one tire. As 73 calls it, it is a one-tire-frier.

A 12.9 second v6 would just be fun

Quick Reply: musicman wants to go faster