93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

missfires on a 97 camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Question missfires on a 97 camaro.

Hi guys, so i got this car and it seemed to have a small oil leak. But it has been running fine until recently. Under the car I can see transmission and engine oil leak, i've put a 2qt engine oil for the last 3weeks. last oil change was 4 months ago before that.
I did hav seldom misfires before that, but since about a month, it has started misfiring when I push the pedal without changing gears (it automatic, i mean if i push suddenly, itll go to a lower gear and there wont be missfires, usually). it usually happens when i go up a hill, again without it changing to a lower gear. doesnt usually happen at lower speeds under 50mph. and has a code P306.
The engine oil looks kinda dark brown, but no white stuff on it. No smoke it seems, but there's a burnt smell in exhaust, idk if its engine oil, transmission or somthin else. Also, my friend said there's a smell of coolent inside the car..!

Please help me identify the problem, im broke right now, replaced the CKS sensor and MAF sensor, it was running fine b4 replacin the CKS, and i tot the misfires are because its a new sensor..! but seems not. I want to know if I can run this without an expensive fix for now, and if there's any quick fix that'll give me some time...!!

thanx a lot guys.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Droid

Cylinder #6 appears to be misfiring. For starters check the spark plug and plug wire for cylinder #6.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default cylinder #6

Yeah, but the mil came on only when i tried to overtake 4/5 vehicles on a two lane freewy in 10secs lol. I could erase the code n retry that to see if it comes out t o be the same cylinder, but i don wanna do that..!

and the thing is, the missfires are random, like no pattern when it do that..! i kinda thought it misfires more than one cyinder..!

but yeah, ima buy a wireset 2moro, n i have sparkplugs..! ill just replace'em all..! i dont think it has bn replaced in a long while..! btw, do you think if should buy the 60$ performance wireset or just the regular 25$ wiredset? is there a big difference?

thx a lot.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Droid

When you tried to pass all those cars you put a heavy load on the engine. A heavy loaded engine is much more prone to misfire than one that is lightly loaded (cruising at a steady speed).

Last edited by z28pete; 01-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Is there any tricks or tips to changing the plugs and wires? Or will I just have to jack up the car and creep under it?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:49 AM

Well, I changed most of the plugs on the car and all of the plug wires. I couldn't get # 6 out or # 3. Is there a specialty tool?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

spark plug rachet. long handle with a flex head. u may have to get em from under the car and use a wrench on the socket. i have long skinny arms so i can reach em. lol. bandaids and beer has been recomended. the back plugs are a pita.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes..superman..i changed mine from the top side..took like 2hours haha..bottom side MAY have room from underneath for a cheater bar..

Disclaimer: i do not condone the use of cheater bars (luls right..) therefore using one puts you in charge of your own health and safety and by posting this disclaimer i wash my hands of this issue..

Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM

i got a 94 and it didnt take more than a hr to change all 6 for my first time. but the flex ratchet is a nessisity put some electric tape around it so it dont move as freely tht way with the right extentions you can aim it in from the top and they should break free with some elbow grease!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

If plugs and wires don't fix the misfire problem, a couple things you can check is to listen for any vac leaks from the vac hoses running around under the hood. It could also be a coil pak going bad. Make sure that the connections on the coil pak are bright and shiny when you put the plug wires back on them.

Quick Reply: missfires on a 97 camaro.