93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Misfire so what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Default Misfire so what next?

My 98 Camaro 3.8 has had a continuing series of problems the latest being a misfire that seemed to begin after I let the fuel get very low. The car began to run rough and the check engine light was on so we changed fuel filter, spark plugs, and did a fuel system flush. After that did not solve the problem a diagnosis showed misfires in two cylinders so we switched coil packs and that did not change anything. Finally we replaced the ignition sensor module which made the car idle fine and run better at slow speeds but it still misses when accelorating and the check engine light comes on.Any ideas?

Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Misfire so what next?

Time to scan the car again & see what codes u getting now. Good chance you hurt the fuel pump when the tank ran dry. May want to do a fuel pressure test & see what the fuel pump and pressure regulator are putting out.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will again have the car scanned. Would a fuel pump problem have any relationship to the ignition control module? When we replaced that module the car begain to idle ok but still cut out under increased power, particularly in higher gears. Before it would not idle smoothly either. Ok back to the scan machine.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Droid

I don't see where the fuel pump and ignition module could affect each other, but bad fuel pressure can cause misfires under load. Usually, but not always, when the ignition module goes, you winf\d up with multiple cylinder misfires. A scan should show one way or the other.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Pete, Thanks you for your help. We checked the codes, tested everything and still had misfires, even after replacing the ignition module. First it was multiple misfires, then only 1 and 4, then finally only 4. Finally today we replaced the plug wires and reset the crank sensor and it is running again. Makes no sense to me and I am not sure it is a final fix, but the problem may have been the spark plug wires all along. The car only has 36k miles but apparently that doesn't matter.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

that **** sucks, my car also continues to misfire occasionally even tho i replaced all the obvious causes of a misfire =/

Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM

im havin a similar problem, where my SES light comes on if I go over 80ish for too long. It stays on for a few days maybe but goes away. I got a engine misfire so we changed the plugs and wires but it still idles a little rough. im not car savvy at all, any ideas?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Droid

Get the car scanned & see what the complaint is.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Yeah, I had it scanned at autozone. All it said was engine misfire, is better to go GM. Will it be more specific as to what is causin it? Thanks i really apprieciate the response?

Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Droid

You need to know the code number in order to pin down the type of misfire.

Quick Reply: Misfire so what next?