93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

lowering springs....good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lowering springs....good or bad?

some have told me that it is a good idea and some have said that it is a bad idea.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Droid

Lowering springs are a low cost way to lower the car, but by necessity are much stiffer than stock units, and when used on the front end they can cause undesired changes in steering geometry, and handling (camber changes and bump steer, among others). A better way, which is also more costly, would be to change to lowering spindles or hubs. However; this may present a problem with newer cars, that use hubs instead of spindles, as lowering hubs are not commonly available.
That being said, as low to the ground as Camaros are, dropping the car lower will make it difficult to drive around without the car body hitting the ground on rough and uneven surfaces.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by z28pete
Lowering springs are a low cost way to lower the car, but by necessity are much stiffer than stock units, and when used on the front end they can cause undesired changes in steering geometry, and handling (camber changes and bump steer, among others). A better way, which is also more costly, would be to change to lowering spindles or hubs. However; this may present a problem with newer cars, that use hubs instead of spindles, as lowering hubs are not commonly available.
That being said, as low to the ground as Camaros are, dropping the car lower will make it difficult to drive around without the car body hitting the ground on rough and uneven surfaces.
I have my car lowered 1.5" and have 0 rubbing issues. As long as you buy the right shocks for the springs and lca relocations you are good to go. I take sharp corners at 55+mph and no rubbing, granted I have a fully redone suspension with larger sways, a-arms, etc

Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Tech Droid

I suspect you haven't driven on PA roads much. lol
I am not talking about the tires rubbing the fenders, I am talking about the bodywork scraping the road.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Same here in Illnoise. Potholes galore and road construction everywhere. Here's a pic of one of our smaller potholes...

Name:  PotholeHuge.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  16.6 KB

Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Talking

LMAO! I have seen those in NYC as well!

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Same here in Illnoise. Potholes galore and road construction everywhere. Here's a pic of one of our smaller potholes...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:38 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by z28pete
I suspect you haven't driven on PA roads much. lol
I am not talking about the tires rubbing the fenders, I am talking about the bodywork scraping the road.
I went backroading in PA while at carlisle for gm nationals, didn't have any issues

Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Socom
I went backroading in PA while at carlisle for gm nationals, didn't have any issues
I have not driven my lowered 93 yet but the forward frame rails are beat and both lower, rear fender mounts are going to need attension.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a friend tell me that they will make your car slower because it will be getting less air under the chassis. Is this true?

Old 09-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by jasonh3609
I had a friend tell me that they will make your car slower because it will be getting less air under the chassis. Is this true?

Please tell me your not serious? Lowering your car a moderate amount should have very little affect on speed, generally the less air under the car the better the aerodynamic properties are, which is why a 1 to 2 inch drop and a small front lip will tend to increase gas mileage a bit(maybe 1mpg better on the highway). Perhaps if you mount a GT style wing, full body kit and slam the car so you have a 100+ lbs of downforce you may see a loss in top speed. Cars are generally designed to break through the air as best as possible and force the air up over the car. Race cars have rear diffusers to basically remove the air that gets under as that is counter productive, rear lips will actually hinder handling when taking cars to thier limits as air gets trapped there. Sideskirts are also helpful to send more air around the car. Lowering the car may actually increase top speed, I'm not an expert just using common sense, but you won't ever notice it on the street anyway, and you shouldn't be hitting 120+ on the streets anyway.

To fully answer your question, no you will not a see a loss in speed, the car may be a bit stiffer and may grind on inclines/potholes daily driving it. Make sure you upgrade the shocks with the springs though, and depending on how low you are going you may need an adjustable panhard bar. Good luck and do research on what parts are best. SLP makes a kit for our cars that replaces the shocks/springs with stiffer parts and I believe drops the car around 1-1.25 inches.

Quick Reply: lowering springs....good or bad?