93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

loose wobbly steering SHAFT, not column, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Default loose wobbly steering SHAFT, not column, PLEASE HELP!

this all started off when my 94' camaro v6 stopped automatically turning off the left turn signal after making a left turn. so i took apart the steering column just to the point where i had access to the turn signal components, and sure enough the left return spring needed to be replaced, which i did and then reassembled the column.

however, after everything was reassembled i realized that the steering wheel had about an inch or two of movement/play, mainly moving up and down but also a little to the sides. i did a small test drive and it drove and turned just fine, but now both signals had to be turned off manually and the steering wheel/column was not being perfectly in place.

so i took the column back apart just down to where i was able to access the turn signal components, and found the problem; the metal ring/bearing which fits snuggly between the steering shaft and ball bearing housing had moved forward out of its position, which therefore was allowing the steering shaft to move slightly in all directions. i pushed the ring back into its proper position and sure enough the steering shaft became held in place and no longer had any play.

i then reassembled the column again for the second time and after placing the steering wheel back on double checked to make sure there was no movement, and there wasnt. i took it for another test drive down the road and made sure both turn signals turned off on their own (which they did), but then after making a 3 point turn around to head back to my driveway, the wheel went back to having an inch or more of movement/play and the turn signals went back to not turning off on their own.

so i repeated the whole process a third time, this time using a small center punch to tap around the ring to ensure it was seated in as far as it could go, put everything back together very delicately, only to have the same thing happen during another test drive.

so my question is why the hell is this ring/bearing not staying in its place on its own? i was very meticulous during the initial breakdown of the column to not lose any parts and put everything back exactly how it was, but for some reason this ring/bearing just does not want to stay in place. i though about using loctite or some other adheasive on the edges of the ring before reseating it, but the inside edge touches the steering shaft which has to move freely, and the outside edge sits against the ball bearings which also have to move freely.

ive attached an exploded view of the entire stearing column and its individual components, and based on the diagram i believe the ring/bearing i am referring too is labled either #13 or #14, or possibly #31, but im pretty sure its one of the first two.

i did research this issue, and for the most part the only things ive come across are people posting questions about a loose steering column, and resolving the problem by tightening or replacing the 4 torx screws which sit under the signal components, but that is the fix for a loose or wobbly steering COLUMN, my column is secured and fine, its the steering SHAFT that is moving.

so i really hope someone knows why this is happening or has an idea of how to fix it, ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS!!!

-chris

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This is a duplicate thread:
Look at part #5. It's a split retaining ring that snaps into a groove on the steering shaft. See if it somehow slid up on the shaft, I think it probably did. Or maybe it snapped and went twang! You need to push #6 & #7 down against the spring a bit before you'll be able to see the groove in the shaft. You might even need to pull up on the shaft at the same time, which would require a third hand. When you see the groove, push the lock ring down the shaft with a screwdriver until it snaps in. I think once you see it, it'll make sense.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-16-2010 at 01:02 AM.