93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

leaking gas out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ohming your injectors doesnt really tell much. get the injectors cleaned and flow tested. doesnt cost much. should be like 20 bucks for 6. pick up a noid light for the gm injectors and test, should be able to tell if ones open all the time. i set pieces of cardboard under mine while it was hooked up with the rail off like you did and turned the motor over. wanted to see if fuel was pooring out. it wasnt. i was getting the same issue you are except i was getting gas in the oil. oh and you better check your oil,,, it may be thinner and reek of gas. i had multiple issues. evap was failing, tune was not in, injectors were not flowing the same and fuel pressure regulator was toast. for piece of mind check all these and when you test the evap test your gas cap. are you running any after market parts or systems in your car?

Last edited by craby; 02-16-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM

i replaced the Fuel pressure regulator with a OEM acdelco. injectors are new, tested and certified, also acdelco. the only thing i haven't done is check the evap system yet, or got a noid light. before i had this issue i was smelling gas outside the car. Also, there is gas in the oil. the level has risen a good amount and i can tell its thinner. need to get it changed, but i don't want to waist the money til i get this fixed. could a evap issue cause this?

List of what i've done so far:

fuel pressure regulator
6 injectors
#2 coil pack
new plugs and wires (iridium acdelco) 7mm wires
new two way check valve
engine rebuilt (replaced one piston)

by the way "tune not in" what do you need?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Overdrive Member

This fuel that is dripping out of the exhaust, are you sure it is fuel and not some water that may have a rich fuel like smell to it? It is perfectly normal to get water in the exhaust from condensation of hot pipes as they cool. What is not normal is raw fuel making it out past the cat. most of the time it will burn in the cat and leave a popping sound or a gurgling sound as it is burnt. This will cause codes like System too rich or Catalyst effiecency codes. Fuel burning in the cat can also cause cat failure by getting the plates hot enough to melt and plug the cat. Try and take some of the drips out the tail pipe and light them on fire... if it is raw fuel then it will burn but if it is water then you have no issue.

Massey

Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh, just do it the fun way and hold a lit blow torch to the tailpipe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPreD...eature=related

Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just dont get the flames close to the oil,,,, if he is getting fuel in the oil there is no doubt an issue. i had just got done with a mess of mods and had not installed the tune for it yet, made a big difference once i installed it.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM

OK, so i finally bit the bullet and i drove it to a garage, damn it. they changed the oil because of the large amount of gas in it. he checked the engine and told me my rings in #4 are gone. around 65lb pressure. that would explain everything. the misfire and the car spitting gas out of exhaust. so, i have called the mechanic that "rebuilt" the engine. sounds like the rings didn't set properly. so he will be getting in touch with me tomorrow to set up the tow and game plan. i really hope it doesn't take too long, i miss my toy.
the Saturn just doesn't do it for me, except for the gas mileage.

at least the entire fuel and ignition systems has been replaced. should be top notch when i get it back, again.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hope you saved all them good parts. never know when youll need em.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Overdrive Member

I set up an old 63 Chev pickup to shoot flame out the exhaust like that. I rigged a coil and sparkplug near the end of the exhaust, triggered the coil with the distributor, and a toggle switch. I would pull the choke, pump the gas a few times and flip the switch and POP POP POP I would get a 5' flame out the tail pipe.

I used it once as I was driving on some guy that was tailgating me. Needless to say he stopped tailgating me and also needed some paint work on the nose of his car.

Massey

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ heh, heh...
kev, here's to hoping your problem is only with the rings, and not a bad cylinder wall.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
^ heh, heh...
kev, here's to hoping your problem is only with the rings, and not a bad cylinder wall.

well' that leads to the other possible. the reason why the engine was rebuilt is because he was replacing the intake manifold gasket and didn't realize he dropped a bolt into the manifold. well, when he tried to crank you can imangine what happen. i was there to see it happen and after we pulled the spark plug i saw the bolt in the cylinder myself. it shattered the piston into 22 pieces. this is why i got an engine rebuilt for free. but you always get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: leaking gas out of exhaust