93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

just for reference! =]

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Default just for reference! =]

hey guys, heres the run down.
i own a '95 camaro, v6, 3.4
i recently had a new oil pump put in because my oil pressure was low due to the wearing of bearings down there. i know i could have just used a thicker oil but... my compulsive(sp?) side told me the pump would do.
i also recently flushed my coolant
problem is, my engine heat rises above the 185 mark when im idleing. when it hits around 230ish, the fans kick in so i have no problem with that. is this normal?
i believe it might be my thermostat that might be the problem...
i am also thinking of flushing the car entirely, via seafoam, sometime in the real near future.
the only leaks i have are probly due to the age and milege of the car, (134k miles) oil leak: head, rear main seal
tranny: small leak
i would like some of your insight on my car and if seafoaming it would be a safe procedure to do.
thanks so much in advance ^_^

Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: just for reference! =]

sup buddy, the camaro should run at 185-195 on a normal day WHILE driving. sitting it will heat up to 230 very fast. very common dont worry bout it. also make sure you still have the front shroud on under the bumper... this part helps direct air up toward the radiator. i have heard you can lock up the motor while seafoaming. but then i hear its the best thing to do. so i dunno. i would never do it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM

yeah, while driving its normal temp is 185-195 ^_^ phew lol
thanks!
any more info on seafoaming would help, pros and cons alike ^_^

Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 AM
4th Gear Member

you have to do it riught before a tune up... put it in your fuel tank and brake booster line and it cleans all the crap out of the motor and fuel system. your car will sputter and smoak like a mother and then stall. wait for 10 mins and crank it back up. then do the fuel filter, plugs, wires... not my idea of fun and i would never put my car through that. i have heard of people doing it and sucking way too much up into the brake booster, it hydrolocks the motor...

Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Overdrive Member

I have the same car w/similar miles, and replaced the thermostat & water pump myself -- thermostat is easy -- water pump isn't bad if you know what to do, and rented a pulley puller... also clean your radiator fins with a water jet -- lots of gunk gets in there... I haven't seen my temp get upto 230 since I did all my cooling system maintenance and upgrades... Ever do a super flush? Install a Prestone flush kit yet?

Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 PM

nah i havent installed the prestone thing or super flushed it.
how much would these cost and is it a simple job? im down with any job, just wanna know what im in for
thanks!

Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

Very simple, cheap at Wal Mart...

Old 07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
4th Gear Member

seafoaming... are we talking bout the stuff that comes in a red and white can u get at the store? and it's a top end cleaner for fuel injectors, and all that? cuz i do that every 1000 miles (w/o tune up) and my car has never sputtered, turned itself off, or even smoaked, or felt laggy or anything. ive never put it in brake booster line either.

or you guys talking bout something else?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
4th Gear Member

i just put seafoam in my gas today...

Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

ah nice, do tell how that turns out

Quick Reply: just for reference! =]