93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

i'm so confused about the rear end in my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default i'm so confused about the rear end in my car

i have a 96 3.8 manual. no special rs or y87 package, but i'm pretty sure i have a posi rear end. if i do a burn out, there are two even tire marks. i also have disc brakes on the back. all of the other 3.8's i've seen have drum brakes, i don't know if that has anything to do with telling if it's not the original rear for my car or not.

i thought i would have a limited slip button or something. is it possible it came from a z28 and the limited slip switch just wasn't installed, which leaves it turned off?

does the v6 rear give power solely to one wheel? or does it just give "most" of the power to one and the rest to the other? if it's supposed to give power just to one, then there's no mistaking i have positive traction, but if it gives a little to the other, then i can't say for sure that i have it. i'm so confused lol, but i would like to know.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Ninja Administrator

sounds like u have a v8 rear end. there is no "limited slip" button. there IS however a TCS button, which turns on or off your traction control. this was more common on newer cars. my 98 does not have a tcs control button. my buddys 01 does. but i dont think any v6s had tcs. either way... tcs is computer controlled.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks. and what about the disc brakes. my friend acts like it's a big deal that i have them (he has the same car, but drums). i just thought you could switch drums out for discs, didn't think it had anything to do with the rear end.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Ninja Administrator

u can swap them, its just a little involved. but not a real big deal. just be glad u have them

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

haha. i am. and thanks for the info.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I had a V6 with drums, there's not a whole huge distance if your just driving around town.

My 98 has a TCS button? Weird.. I woulda thought 98 T/A's and Cam's woulda been the same..

Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Easy way to tell if it's a posi,jack up the rear of the car so both wheels are off the ground and with it in neutral spin one wheel forward by hand.
If both wheels spin forward together it's a posi,if the other wheel spins backward or reverse of the wheel you are spinning it's an open rear end (not posi).

Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have a 97 with disks in the back but i have the 30th Ann. rs so i don't know if that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure it's the stock rear end but i guess i'll find out today because i blew the rear end doing donuts, i the the v-6 3.8 had 3.23 gears i'm not quite sure but, hopefully I'll be getting bigger gears in there.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Easy way to see if it's stock posi... Check your RPO codes for the G80 code =) If you have it, then you have a stock LSD. If you have the J65 code (possibly J85?), then you have stock disks

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Overdrive Member

My '02 RS has an ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation) button it's not called TCS, but the same idea...

The default behavior is on at start, but SLP makes a module to make it default to off at start...

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
sounds like u have a v8 rear end. there is no "limited slip" button. there IS however a TCS button, which turns on or off your traction control. this was more common on newer cars. my 98 does not have a tcs control button. my buddys 01 does. but i dont think any v6s had tcs. either way... tcs is computer controlled.

Quick Reply: i'm so confused about the rear end in my car