93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation Please help!

i have a 2001 3.8L v6. okay so i went to get my car inspected and i didn't pass the computer check. it threw out the code PO442 which is a small emission leak somewhere. so i went to check out the charcoal canister and it isn't in the wheel well behind driver's rear tire like i read it was. so basically i'm asking, has anyone had this problem? does anyone know where to look for the charcoal canister? any ideas on what else to check for? (pictures of where the parts are will help!) i only have 12 days left until my inspection repair time is up i need help asap! thanks to all!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 AM
4th Gear Member

EVAP canister is leaking. It's right on the filler neck of the gas tank I do believe. INSIDE the wheel well. I'm guessing you looked up by where the tire was lol. Follow the filler neck, you will find your EVAP.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Droid

May also want to check out the gas cap.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

when you mean inside the wheel well you mean under the black plastic near the neck? because i removed the plastic cover and still no EVAP. and i passed the "gas cap integrity" part of the test so that means my gas cap is good right? it was the first thing i replaced like 3 weeks ago.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

If you don't see a canister behind that black plastic plate at the rear driver-side wheel, then it's either missing or has been moved. Behind that plate, there should be a black canister with a few hoses going to it. It should be in plain sight, straight towards the back, underneath the fuel filler tube, with the hoses following the filler tube towards the tank.

Do you see ANYTHING back there? If you see hoses with no canister, then you need to get a canister. If you don't see the hoses, then it could be the canister fell out and hoses fell behind the wall towards the gas tank. Raise the back end of your car, crawl under it, and look up into the cavity where the fuel filler tube goes. See if there are any rubber/plastic hoses up there with one end unplugged.

If you can't see the cavity I'm taliking about, find the fuel send and return lines. There's a third hose that goes the whole length of the car with them. Follow that third line backwards and see where it goes. It's supposed to go up to that missing canister.

It's POSSIBLE (but not likely) that a previous owner (or mechanic) moved it into the engine compartment somewhere. If that third line connects to the top of the gas tank, look under the hood for where that line goes next.

For a detailed description of the whole EVAP system, look at my post here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/car-pulling-codes-p0440-46034/

Also, check the rubber hose connectors for wear. The alcohol in our gas these days deteriorates rubber like crazy. This code can be thrown by a hole as small as 0.04 inch diameter (that's 1/25th of an inch, or TINY). If one or more of your rubber connectors is rotten, just buy some rubber hose from AutoZone to replace it (I think it's 3/8", but might be wrong).