93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

i need help, 1994 v6 camaro no cat & no o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I pulled all my plugs and none of them were white looking. They were all black showing sign of the engine running too rich. Does anyone know what else could be causing this.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Trying to post quick reply but hasn't been working. Pulled all my plugs they are covered in black soot, shows that all the cylinders are running too rich. I don't see any vacuum leaks or could find any vacuum leaks. Both of my o2 sensors in the manifolds seem to be okay. Any one have any other ideas why it could be running rich. I noticed I have the bosch double platinum plugs. Not sure if they are good for this car

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by joseph_zlnsk
Okay I'm going to do a good lookover today. It idle at 1k rpms. I would assume if it were a acumen leak it would be higher right? It does blow a little smoke has a pretty strong exhaust smell to it. Stronger than a normal running engines exhaust would smell. I haven't been able to get the codes yet. I need to get some one over here with a scanner. Hopefully I can get that accomplished today. Something I also noticed is I seem to be having a little exhaust smoke coming from the engine bay around the manifolds as well. Mabey my manifold gaskets rotted through I'm not sure. Im gonna try to look it all over today. Any more ideas and what is this open loop? Something I did notice is when I mash the gas pedel some and my rpms raise they don't come right back down they kinda slowly come down, this is in neutral of course.
well when mine did it, it was a vacume line that went to a little 90 bend peice of plastic on the top of the intake manifold. my car also idled at 1000 but it the exhaust smell was so potent it burned your eyes to even stand behind the car

Old 01-09-2011, 04:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I will check that out. Did yours seem to run rough? Mine does that it has a really potent exhaust smell. I run it for a few mins and just being around the car makes me stink like exhaust fumes.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by FosterW
I did the non-fouler trick.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ouler-how.html

It moves the o2 out of the stream of exhaust and makes it believe your cat is working. Ive had it on since October and I still havent thrown a code for my cat since.
Non foulers are only useful when used with downstream sensors. If used with upstream sensors they prevent the sensor from getting a proper exhaust sample and the air fuel mixture will be wrong. Joe's car is a 94 model and does not use downstream sensors to monitor the cats.

Last edited by z28pete; 01-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yep that is correct. Mine only has the upstream sensors. So far all I've been able to figure out is that its running rich. I haven't been able to get a scanner on it yet. I am going to check the vacuum wires around the intake manifold. Could a vacuum leak cause this? Pcv? Not sure if this is what's going on.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

get it scanned before you start pouring random money into her

Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I ment to say vacuum lines not vacuum wires, I have to mention again its running so rich it that its rough, acts and sounds like a cam. I can video it tomorrow and put it on YouTube in the morning if yall would care to see

Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Non foulers are only useful when used with downstream sensors. If used with upstream sensors they prevent the sensor from getting a proper exhaust sample and the air fuel mixture will be wrong. Joe's car is a 94 model and does not use downstream sensors to monitor the cats.
Ya , I seen that. I was kinda confused when he said "I figured I had down stream o2 sensors." But I just realized that he thought he did. Stupid me.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay so I just made a video. I am using a mobile phone so I can't paste a link here. But if you go to YouTube and look up mustang88 it should come up. Video is called something like 1994 camaro rough idle and in the video I say injectors I mean to say spark plugs

Quick Reply: i need help, 1994 v6 camaro no cat & no o2 sensors