93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

how much $$ to convert a 3.4 to a LT1??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Default RE: how much $$ to convert a 3.4 to a LT1??

how much do you think if i can find a crashed z28??
i think i can find one for around 250-500...
maybe less, there is one down my road that has been sitting in a pasture for about 7 years...
i know i will have to re-hose it, and prob'ly flush it, but the spare parts would be worth that extra money i think...
if the motor is blown on it, would i still be better off getting it and rebuilding it than finding another one??
it is not wrecked, its just sitting there...
i almost feel like the transmission is why it was parked in the first place...

Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

so you want to buy a car thats been sitting in a field for seven years.....the motor is going to be junk, the trans is junk, the brakes are junk, mice wreck interior and wiring....why would you want it? where do you live that you think you can buy a wrecked 4th gen z28 for $250 or less? for that money you can pick up maybe a rear end.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 PM

well, down here i have found a few decent wrecks for that low...
they are pretty plentiful down here.
why would the motor and trans be junk??
i have just fired up a 69 galaxie after a tune up that had been sitting for like, 14 years...
had to change the lines, and hoses, and the old girl came right back to life.
rust sets in slow around here...i sold my old Z for 750, and it needed a front clip...
my cousin owns a junk yard, so that should help me...

on the other hand, i wonder what i would gain by doing the swap??
horsepower?? i have a 2007 mustang GT, so the more i think about the swap, the less i want to do it...
the main reason was that i had heard a few people say that these 3.4's were junk engines, but on here, i havent seen too many people complaining about them...
i dont know what im gonna do, im just trying to find out some prices to weigh my options, you know??

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Your post has interested me alot im anew i own a 1996 camaro RS V6 n also have been having many thoughts about swappin my engine out for a LT1 for performance i know its not a easy task n i read many comments how its just easy to buy a camaro with a V8 alrdy money n time wise but the truth is i love my camaro n want it done to it not buy another. If anyone can help me with this task on where to start n how much i would be spending especially that lives in the Miami FL area who can help me in real-life/real-time. i would greatly appreciate if anyone can help, my car grew on me like im sureother cars have grown on other camaro drivers.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 PM

hey, someone who sees eye to eye with me!!
im the same way, i have taken a real liking to my camaro!! the sad part is i have only owned it for about a week...lol
i live in north georgia, so i imagine our prices and diffiuclties would be very close...
so far, i have found 3 crashed Z28 cars the most expensive one is 1500 and the cheapest one is 300, the 300 has a busted trans, and oil pan, the radiator is also shot...
the 550 is a decent car, it also has a busted tranny... the motor mounts are also toast on it too...
im thinkin about leaving mine as an automatic car just to make life easier...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

as far as you power question a stock camaro LT1 is going to put out 285 horse and 300 foot pounds of torque there a pretty good match for the new stangs

Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM

so that being said... would i really gain much doing the swap??
minealready sounds good... it really does sound like the LT1 all the way up to 4500RPM...
it has plenty of power...and is really good on gas...
of course the stang is gettin 26mpg...lol
i know my old Z28 was gettin 14 to 17 mpg, but i dont know how hard of a life it had before i got it...lol

Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 AM

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

according to this, my trans will NOT bolt up to the LT1...
some on here have said that it will, will it or not???
also, it is saying that the wiring between the 1995 3.4 and the 1995 5.7 will not need changing...
so does that mean that as long as the donor car is a 1995, i wont have to change the wiring?? that sounds kind of strange to me...

Old 08-31-2008, 09:25 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

if you are refering to the automatic it is the same tras however the bell housing and connecting rods are differant. so it will take some modification. when I say you can use the V6 auto tras i mean that is is rated to the same horsepower as theV8. so no need to worry about the power blowing it up.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:02 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm just gonna stay out of this... You ppl need a good junk yard close by

Quick Reply: how much $$ to convert a 3.4 to a LT1??