93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

How long dose it take to remove and install a new V6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Default How long dose it take to remove and install a new V6?

Hello members,

I have a quick question for you guys. How long dose it take to remove and install a new V6 in a 4th gen Camaro? I ask because a good friend just friend has asked me to do the swap for him. Itold him this would be a goods time for a LS1 but he wants to keep the V6 (good MPG).
I have been working on Toyota Supra'sfor the last 10 years but have never worked on a Camaro and have no idea what to tell him for how long it would take.

Also any advice/tech tipswould be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for the help.

Rob

EDIT: Fat fingers

Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: How long dose it take to remove and install a new V6?

It really depends on the tools you have available. The fastest way to do it is take the engine out from the bottom, but you have to lift the car off it to do that. I've heard of people taking it out the top, but I think they had to remove the radiator, intake manifold, and the heads too.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Mine took a solid 4 days and that's moving on lol. But I also polished the entire block and heads and the like. Take the engine out the bottom so you don't have to fool with the radiator. The transmission has to come down with it so don't even try taking it off first lol.

Basically... It's definitely time consuming and difficult. Especially if it's your first time doing a Camaro. Just thank god he's putting a V6 back in and not an LS1.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 AM

Sorry I did respond to this post earlier for some reason it said I had a error with my cookies WTF?? But now we seem good to go.

On we go, Basic tools I would say I have. I do not have a car hoist, just a cherry picker so the engine would need to come out from the top. Yes, I would want to remove the tranny with the engine Is the radiator/cooling system special on Camaro’s? I ask because in every engine swap I have done, it had to be remove, and only takes 5 min. to do so. Looking at pics (google)of V6 Camaro, it looks like the engine is shoved way back in the engine bay. Looks like it would be almost under the dash board, LOL.

Umm……. hearing from you guys it sound like this would be a pain in the *** to remove it from the top and it “should†be removed from the bottom . GM should talk with Toyota about engine placement in a car, JK. (I am also a GM/Cadillac guy. My DD is CTS-V with the LS6 FTW) It take me less than 12 hrs to remove and reinstall the engine on my supra.

Anyone else that would like to charm in, feel more then welcome. I don’t want to shoot him down yet (telling him I can’t do it for him) but at the same time I would like to extra $$$, but not at the expense of being pissed off at the car, saying why in the hell did GM do this and why did I take this job.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, the forum has been having issues lately.

I ran into a guy at the drag strip who used a strut tower brace to hook his cherry picker to, and lifted the body off. But it was one that he didn't want, so he wasn't worried about hurting it. If you made a bar similar to a strut tower brace, then you could lift the body off that way.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Talk to me in a few weeks and I'll tell you exactly how long it takes. I just bought a very clean 94 V6 car (bright red, t-tops, loaded with everything as far as I can tell) that has 130k miles and a blown engine. Well actually a blown head gasket. With 130k miles no way am I going to pull the heads for a gasket job!
After buying the car I started to look at it closely and thought "how the hell am I going to get that engine out?" I'm an ASE master tech and have done many, many engine swaps but never one in a 4th generation camaro. I just couldn't see any way to get that sucker out so I went to the factory SM. Oh, no... R&R the V6 pays 14 hours and that does not include transferring bits from the old engine to the new one. My god, what have I done?
According to the FSM the engine/trans/crossmember/front suspension *are* dropped as an assembly right out the bottom. Makes sense after what I saw in person. Suddenly that Chevy Astro engine swap I did a while back doesn't seem so bad.
I have located a donor engine that supposedly has 66k miles and I will pick it up on Wednesday. Sounds too good to be true so I'll find the VIN on it and run Carfax. What if it comes up 145k miles??? I do NOT want to do this job twice. Actually, not even once.