93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

High idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default High idle

I know theres other threads that talk mabout high idle but ive tried everthing. I have a 1993 camaro 3.4. could the hose from the evap canister cause a high idle I hear a hissing sound coming from the drivers side arround the exaahust manifold and its idleing between 2000 and 3000 rpm. i got it from a guy on here he told me it was the iac and i saw he replaced it already along with the tps and temp sensors and water pump the guy i got it from is gville4life maby someone remembers him. I tried to get ahold of him but he wont answer his phone he got my blazer as a trade. i couldnt see anything at night when we traded or i would have relized that he already changed the sensors. what could it be

Last edited by shoff24; 12-28-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

If you hear a hissing sound I'd say a vacuum leak is the source of the high idle. Based on your location description I'd suspect a damaged or disconnected vacuum line to the canister purge solenoid. That solenoid is held to the driver side of the upper intake.
The pipe to it heads inboard and then goes forward to a big fitting. From what I've seen that big fitting cracks and that can sure cause a problem.

Attached Thumbnails High idle-p4170016.jpg   High idle-p9220010.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
If you hear a hissing sound I'd say a vacuum leak is the source of the high idle. Based on your location description I'd suspect a damaged or disconnected vacuum line to the canister purge solenoid. That solenoid is held to the driver side of the upper intake.
The pipe to it heads inboard and then goes forward to a big fitting. From what I've seen that big fitting cracks and that can sure cause a problem.
The line to it is good from what I can see could the canister purge solenoid go bad and where is the evap canister

Old 12-27-2010, 09:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Sure sounds like a vac leak. Also check the throttle linkage to make sure it operates smoothly and closes all the way.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The throttle linkage is fine

Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

use some carb cleaner or break cleaner anything flammable and spray all your vac lines if theres any leaks it will suck the cleaner in and cause the engine to jump slightly

Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 AM
2nd Gear member

I still call vacuum leak. Take a closer look at the 2nd picture I posted. Notice that there are two vacuum pipe assemblies.
The first one "starts" at the top RH corner and heads forward to the fuel pressure regulator. A branch taps off the middle and goes up, then back, to the MAP sensor.
The second branch starts at the big fitting all the way at the left. That big black boomerang shaped piece is known to crack. The disconnected end (up) is supposed to connect to the shiny black pipe that goes to teh PCV valve. The branch that heads down goes to the cansister purge valve.
Then, all the way at the right of the pic you see the metal fitting that supplies the brake booster and the HVAC servos.
As for the canister purge valve leaking, well, I haven't seen on e do that in 30+ years of working on cars. Could happen though, I guess. Especially if some clumsy hands dropped it or pried on it. I'd forget the charcoal canister itself being the problem. There is no canister purge function at idle so the solenoid is closed. the problem must be the solenoid or something up stream of it.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK ill check those out

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok all the lines are good and the hising noise dissapiered it starts off idling at 1500 and sloly goes up to 2500 or 3000

Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i replaced the iac again and the idleing went down a little bit its still arround 2000 rpm does anyone know how the perge valve selinoid is supposed to be hooked up there are two hoses and i think they might be hooked up wrong

Quick Reply: High idle