93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help!!!!

Hey guys whats up,
somewhere a little while back, I posted about a rear end clunk/rattle noise.Well I cant find it so im starting a new one.

Ive got a video and some pictures of the noise im hearing. Its the rear driver side wheel hub

http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv36/mstephens22/

Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Don't sound real good but I am not familiar with the inner workings of the rear end of a camaro. I know one can set the bearing tension or backlash on some rear ends but not sure about these.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I know this is a moving part so ofcourse its gonna me some noise but, should I hear it while driving or coasting. Im not sure how to take it apart past what I have already done so im kindof stuck.If anyone could give any input id appericate it

Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Droid

Could be a bad axle bearing, or worn out brakes. Either one is not hard to repair with proper tools. Get yourself a repair manual for your car, and do an inspection.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
Could be a bad axle bearing, or worn out brakes. Either one is not hard to repair with proper tools. Get yourself a repair manual for your car, and do an inspection.

Bad brakes?????? I have the brakes off.

also so i can understand a little better till i get a manual does the part in the video or picture tht im shaking come off the axle or is it all on peice. I need to get a manual so i can find where all the axle bearings are located.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstephens20
Bad brakes?????? I have the brakes off.

also so i can understand a little better till i get a manual does the part in the video or picture tht im shaking come off the axle or is it all on peice. I need to get a manual so i can find where all the axle bearings are located.
The part in the video is the axle shaft. It is all one piece. To remove it, according to my repair manual, you must remove the differential cover and remove the locking C clip. Then to remove the axle from the housing, you will need a slide hammer and a bearing puller. Sometimes, when the bearing is going bad, or is bad, you can feel it kinda grinding or rolling rough if you turn the axle by hand.

The sound almost sound more like you have some play in the ring and pinon gears than the axle bearing.

I would do a real good inspection of the universal joints on the drive shaft to before tearing into the axle. Hard to diagnois without feeling or hearing it as the car is moving with weight on the axle.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say the bearing is history.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
The part in the video is the axle shaft. It is all one piece. To remove it, according to my repair manual, you must remove the differential cover and remove the locking C clip. Then to remove the axle from the housing, you will need a slide hammer and a bearing puller. Sometimes, when the bearing is going bad, or is bad, you can feel it kinda grinding or rolling rough if you turn the axle by hand.

The sound almost sound more like you have some play in the ring and pinon gears than the axle bearing.

I would do a real good inspection of the universal joints on the drive shaft to before tearing into the axle. Hard to diagnois without feeling or hearing it as the car is moving with weight on the axle.
I havent heard any grinding or felt any really but, I need to get the hole rear end up so I can test that.
Its not always making that noise when I drive or, I would go crazy but, only when turning left with out throttle.
How hard is it to change the universal joints on the drive shaft. Is it just unbolt and bolt back up with new u joints?
I ask cause sometimes theres a slight clunk when breaking or taking off and im thinking maybe its worn u joints or if not its something loose or worn in the differential...

Thanks for the replys ...im tryin to get to the bottom of this

Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 PM
4th Gear Member

After going back and reviewing the video one more time, I'm goiing with Craby's and ZZpetes diagnosis, bearing. For some reason, the first time I watched it, I was thinking you were turning the axle right to left but you are moving back and forth.