93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

has my car been lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default has my car been lowered?

i see all these pictures of camaros and they all seem higher than mine. i also can't put much weight in my car at all. if a decent sized person even gets in the passenger seat, you can feela big difference, and the suspension will bottom out easily. justa small hump, even on the highway, will make the wheels hit in the back. i like how mine looks, but is it supposed to be that bad? do i need new suspension components? it's the best handling vehicle i've ever driven when i'm alone in it.

www.myspace.com/buddywackos
i have a few pictures, a couple of them shows the ride height, and its parked on level ground. i've only had it for3 months.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Default RE: has my car been lowered?

Actually i have that same problem. I called belle tire and there tellin me its probably my coils that go around the strut are weak. I told him i wanted to raise the back end. He mentioned air shocks but im not sure how good they'll actually work. Anyway good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Try a basic jounce test to determine whether the problem is a spring or a strut or shock. Shocks and struts generally have a shorter lifespan than a spring, so I'd start there. Place your hands on the hood where the hood latch is and give it a forceful push down. Immediately let go and watch the number of bounces. It should bounce roughly 1.5 times. Any more travel indicates work front struts. Do the same for the rear. Also, take a visual inspection of the struts. A small oil film is acceptable, but a distinct oil line or dripping around the two overlapping pieces is not. That requires immediate replacement as a defective part.

Hope this helps. Also, check the specified ride height for your car and take your own measurements. Compare yours to GMs and see what you come up with. Any worthy alignment shop can do these tests for you if you're not willing to do so.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
4th Gear Member

It looks like the back just sags alot from old shocks/coils...cant tell, get some better pics

Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

i'll take more soon. i'll have itchecked at a garage also. i took it yesterday about a noise the car was making when i downshifted from 2nd to 1st. they think it's the throwout bearing or flywheel or a couple other things. i forgot to ask about the suspension.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I need to lower mines. My backend is high for nothing