93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fuel problem after replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Default Fuel problem after replacing fuel pump

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and I hope I'm posting in the correct place but I have a problem with my 1995 3.4 v6 camaro. I just replaced the fuel pump by doing the trap door method where you cut a hole in the trunk over top of the pump. I actually did this a little over a year ago but it went out so I replaced it again. So anyway it's a day later and the silicone I re sealed it with is dry. I put the interior back together and drove it to the gas station to fill up. The gauge said I was at an 1/8 of a tank but the previous pump said I was at around a 1/4 tank. I filled up the tank and even though the tank is only 15.5 gallons it filled up to 17.6 gallons according to the pump... I've only ever put 15 gallons in when it was on E before. And there was no gas on the ground when I pulled forward. So then on my way to my destination, after the gas station, the cabin of the car smelled like gas and immediately after I turned off the car the left rear wheel well smelled like gas. I went out about 5 minutes later to check again and nothing smelled like raw gas anymore except inside the exhaust pipes for some reason? I'm really confused and I'm just wondering if anyone has any answers. Sorry for the long message I just wanted to be thorough haha. Thanks and I'm excited to be part of the forum!

Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like one of the fuel lines is not sealing or a couple got crossed and your pumping gas into the evap canister.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by craby
sounds like one of the fuel lines is not sealing or a couple got crossed and your pumping gas into the evap canister.
I'm 99% sure everything went back on the correct way but I guess theres no way to check without looking again. But how would gas get pumped into the evap lines? Theres pretty much only one way to hook up f body fuel pumps right?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

In my 2000 one time the pump did not auto shut off, I did have gas on the ground and I did have more then 15 gallons but since it was spilling out I had no idea how much the tank itself over filled. I smelled gas for 2 days.

Gage accuracy in these 4th gens is really a sketchy Even from the factory some cars have inaccurate gages and if you are using an aftermarket unit then there is even more variables involved.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
In my 2000 one time the pump did not auto shut off, I did have gas on the ground and I did have more then 15 gallons but since it was spilling out I had no idea how much the tank itself over filled. I smelled gas for 2 days.

Gage accuracy in these 4th gens is really a sketchy Even from the factory some cars have inaccurate gages and if you are using an aftermarket unit then there is even more variables involved.
Yeah I could see how that makes sense in your case but for me there was no visible gas anywhere. Not at the station, on the ground that night and the next day. I just dont see how 2-3 gallons of gas could disappear and I dont see how the evap system could hold that much. But then again I've never dug into one before. Does anyone know how to check if the evap system is full of gas? I also drove the car the next day and it was fine going down the road but stopping for long periods of time or reversing into my driveway I got a smell of raw gas inside the car. I haven't gotten a chance to dig into it yet since it's been cold and rainy and I'm now on a trip with my family but I plan on going through all the ideas once I'm back. Could all this maybe be caused by the gasket in between the top of the pump assembly and the tank being misaligned or something?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:24 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be the seal between the tank and pump mount. what shape was the o ring and the mounting surfaces in? check hose clamps on fill tube, also the vent hose if you have one, goes from tank up to the fill opening. evap tank is behind the rear driver side wheel under a plastic shield.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by craby
could be the seal between the tank and pump mount. what shape was the o ring and the mounting surfaces in? check hose clamps on fill tube, also the vent hose if you have one, goes from tank up to the fill opening. evap tank is behind the rear driver side wheel under a plastic shield.
I got a new rubber gasket with the pump assembly and the mounting surface was good. The pump however was a little difficult to get in because the locator tabs on the pump were a little askew compared to the cutouts on the tank so I had to twist the pump and even slightly bend one of the lines to get it to go into place. I'm guessing that jostling moved the gasket enough where it lost its seal. I dont have anything going on this weekend so the plan is to freeze in this cold minnesota weather and check everything out at once.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:08 AM

Okay so so far it's fixed. I checked all the lines and they were good and sealed and none of them had a gas smell. What had the smell was the sender and there was visible residue from fresh gas sloshing out but it wasn't enough to drip anywhere. So I pulled up the pump and sure enough half of the rubber gasket was seated and the other half was hanging into the tank. After I carefully put the seal back in place and put the pump back in I started it and topped off the tank. No more gas smell!! Even after having a little fun in the fresh snow haha. As to the overfilling tank I still dont know but the car runs like it should and I'll see when its low again if it does it again

Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Good deal on the repair. Tip: any O-ring, lube liberally with petroleum jelly, silicone grease, or Magic Lube from the pool store.
Keeps O-ring in place and makes install easier.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kool, got it fixed. im sure evap is ok. after learning this evap thing i dont add more gas after the click anymore on any of my rides. that is if i know its not a false click that does happen once in a great while.

Quick Reply: Fuel problem after replacing fuel pump