93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fogged headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fogged headlights

I just got a fresh coat of paint on my car now i want to clear up my headlights but nothing works! Ive tried the wet sanding thing and it made it worse. Is there another alternative other than paying a fortune replacing them?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Default RE: Fogged headlights

i heard that toothpaste works or they have cleaning kits for $20 at wal-mart

Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear member

turtle wax polishing compound *avaliable at your local neighborhood WAL-MART*

Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The best all-in-one solution is to buy the kit at Wal-Mart or wherever they may sell it in your area. It is made by a company called Crystal View Chemicals, comes in a little silver bag. It comes with everything you need. My headlights were extremely bad andit made them look like new. It comes with two types of sandpaper, a cleaner and sealer. The whole process takes 30 minutes to an hour depending on the condition of your headlights. Once you have sanded and used the cleaner they will still look rough, but once you put the sealer on it really is like a transformaton. I really like to promote their product because it seems rare these days that a product actually performs like it says it does, this one actually went beyond my expectations. One tip though, be sure to mask off the painted areas around your headlights so that you don't accidently sand on the paint too.

Their website is myheadlight.com. Go to the testimonials section and scroll down, you can see a before and after picture of my car their.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had good results with Maguiars. They make a compound especially for that. You may have added to the problem though by sanding. As already stated toothpaste often works well and there are other compounds out there. I would keep way from any kind of sandpaper though. Good luck.. Try toothpast first, much less expensive.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn, i should have thought of toothpaste! Makes sence cus it removes plaqe, and that shi-crap is hard to remove. If Not i guess im going to Wal-Mart! Lol Thanks guys

Old 08-04-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Skyrunner

I've had good results with Maguiars. They make a compound especially for that. You may have added to the problem though by sanding. As already stated toothpaste often works well and there are other compounds out there. I would keep way from any kind of sandpaper though. Good luck.. Try toothpast first, much less expensive.
If you go at it with some 80 grit sandpaper, yeah your going to have a problem. But wet sanding with 1800 grit is just fine. The kit I talked about comes with two different grits of sandpaper. Toothpaste, well I never heard of someone having good results with it. Think about it, the stuff on your headlights is a lot worse than whats on your teeth. If tooth paste will remove that then you won't have any teeth left by the time your 30(if you brush regulary).Plus after you have all the stuff off it needs to be sealed, otherwise it will just happen again. The kit comes with a sealer that will prevent it from coming back. Just spend $20, do it right the first time and save yourself a lot of trouble.I tried it all before getting the kit, wish I would have found it sooner.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

if you want something for the future get a "flitz"and some polishing compound, i bought it and did it on a few different cars it works great, and you canuse it on a number of different applications.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Default Taking the headlights off.

Im trying to clean the plastic of the headlights but cannot figure out how to get that plastic peace off. Can someone help?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Holy thread revival! If you are talking about the lens, you have to put the headlight in the oven on low heat for a little while. That softens the glue and allows you to pull it off. A few people have learned the hard way that taking the lens off was kind silly, since the fogging/hazing is on the outside.

Quick Reply: Fogged headlights