93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

FLEXPLATE CRACKED?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 PM
CIN
Default FLEXPLATE CRACKED?

my 99 3.8 v6 makes a rattle when i accerlerate i took it to a shop today and was told that the flexplate might be craked since my car rattles like a ding noise, the noise is coming right above the transmission, has anyone has this happen to them?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: FLEXPLATE CRACKED?

do you notice anything when you rev it in neutral? i dont see why your flex plate would crack. could be the heat shield right above the trans

Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM
CIN

yea it doesnt do anything when its in neutal and i rev it , i jacked it up and the noise went away i put it back down and put it in drive and it made the rattle again sometimes it will rattle on idel but not all the time and sometimes in reverse but rarly it always does it in drive though

Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

Check the exhaust, make sure its not coming in contact with anything, check all the heat shields, trans mount. When you said you jack it up, do you mean you had the rear wheels off the ground and running in gear? you could do that and apply the brake and gas to put a load on it, and see if that makes it rattle. pull the inspection plate off to check out the flex plate if you cant find anything else wrong.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
CIN

yea i had the rear wheels off the ground and has it running in drive applied break and gas and the noise wasnt there if it was it was so light i couldnt hear it , where is the ispection plate on this car? is it above the transmission?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

under the car, between the oil pan and trans. should be a black cover, it just unbolts. have a friend put a wrench on the crank bolt to rotate the engine while youre under looking at the flex plate. the inspection cover is what you have to take off if you want to remove your trans. take it off and unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM
CIN

alright ill check it out thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have an idea what it is. I hear a similiar sound from my 99 V6. What it may be is the O2 sensor thats right behind the CAT. A cracked flex plate wont sound like that. It will sound more like a clack...clack...clack sound. But if your flex plate is broken, it can be due to a worn clutch over heating it from slipping. What can happen is basically it will explode. Does your clutch slip at all? Any ways back to the 02 sensor. Just hit the S pipe behind the cat to see if thats the noise your hearing.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Flex plate would be for a automatic, flywheel for a stick

Old 02-21-2008, 07:34 PM
CIN

checked it out today flexplate is fine, hit the pipe behind the cat no noise, now im back at where i started dont know what it can be

Quick Reply: FLEXPLATE CRACKED?