93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fastest & Most Cost Effective route to 250 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Overdrive Member

Evilkal: Out of curiosity, what are your current bolt-ons?

Originally Posted by evilkal
My car started off with 168 RWHP and now makes 208 RWHP with full bolt ons and one hell of a tune... The only thing left that I can possibly do is further port my heads and do a cam. After that, it gets nasty. With a cam and the right set of heads, you can make 250 RWHP. But that's being optimistic because most people leave out a lot of stuff.

So if you don't wanna do nitrous or FI, start throwing pennies.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-16-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Murda99v6
Its a cornering machine, leave the straight stuff to the Fox bodies and 80’s Malibu’s. Go get your 250HP, sure up that suspension and tear up some roads.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Ok so I wrote out a long *** reply and left to the store, came back, and I guess it never went through. Long story short, I just wanna go fast. At least a little faster than my old GTP and that was stock - so numbers are not important, just driving satisfaction. It'd be nice to keep up with a few of the modern cars too ya know? Evilkal what do you have done to yours?

Liberty - I have no mods yet thats why it says stock. I shaved down the baffles on the airlid yesterday and am dropping in a k&n filter. I was thinking about using that heating duct thing as a connection from the air lid to the throttle body like Darling and Microkid did. I have a question regarding that: Wouldn't I be able to use an LS1 whisper lid and just use that heating duct piping to connect it to the TB? Isn't the only difference between the v6 whisper lids and v8 whisper lids just where the outlet is? Please help me out with this.

These are my plans so far but most of it won't get done until Spring seeing as to how I may be driving the Camaro this winter:

Whisper Lid + Blackwing or K&N Filter
SLP CAI
Pacesetter Headers
Borla Exhaust (Expensive but youtube videos make it my #1 choice...suggestions?)
P&P Heads
Mild Cam
z28 Rear End Swap or 3.73 gears (Don't know too much in this dept. - only what I've read here)
Tune (Chicago, IL area - Anyone know any good places to go for this? Liberty?)

Excluding the Whisper Lid & Intake, how much do you think this should all run me including labor?

What else can I do? Almost any info I've gotten on this car has been through this forum so please make any suggestions you'd like - I appreciate them all. Thanks again

Last edited by Murda99v6; 09-16-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a quarter mile goal in mine? Or are you just talking you want it to dyno better then your GPX? I think the GPX was only 240 HP betting that with the above should not be a problem. I would expect to be near 240 after my tune.

How amy miles are on your engine? You really would not want to do all this to a tired motor. Even if it is a low miles car if I was you I would add a decent set of pistons and upgrade my Connecting rod and Main bolts. They are weak spots in the 3800 bottom end.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Whisper lid is designed for this car, so better fitment. SLP lid can work, but the fitment is not ideal to the TB, since it's the LS1 design.

"an SLP V8 air box lid which works with a V6 if the air ducts are substantially modified. A problem with our SLP lid is it tended to warp. Once it does, it leaks air. The best choice in V6 air box lids is the Whisper Motorsports unit", read:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part3.htm Although I haven't had a warping problem with SLPs lid on my SS.

Be careful with oiled air filters -- if the oil gets on your MAF wire, you will likely have System Too Lean codes until you clean the wire!

Love my Borla, and built-in cutout -- will be adding and electric valve for adjustable sound soon. You can easily install this catback in your driveway -- I did, just take your time, grab some beer and do it right.

Headers -- long tube would be my choice, which means custom of Force Fed Fabrications. SLP's CAI should be your first mod -- take your time to do it right -- wakes your car up on the highway at higher RPMs.

V6 tuning is tricky -- most shops won't help. Try HP Tuners software, they are in Buffalo Grove, IL. A shop that says they will tune V6 Camaros is Benchmark Tuning in Melrose Park, IL (they would use HP Tuners) -- I have no experience with them.

Don't forget suspension/chassis -- it will make a daily driver WAY more fun -- welded SFCs, STB, Bilstein HDs or Edelbrock shocks (factory shocks are really poor), SS or Strano sways...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 09-16-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Wow thanks for all that info Liberty, didn't notice you were online. So if I'm not getting the Whisper Lid, I might as well stick with the shaved down stock lid right? How hard is it to modify the SLP lid to fit the throttle body?
Damn I didn't know HP tuners was so close to me..will they actually do the tuning for me?

Last edited by Murda99v6; 09-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Sorry Gorn didn't see that you posted before Liberty. I have 57,000 Miles on the car. And yeah, after you guys made it clear that I wasn't going to hit that target I pretty much just said I'll be happy being a little faster than the GTP. Would a tune help even on a stock car? Pistons, connecting rods, main bolts...how much for all of this? All this would also help down the line if I wanted to do nitrous or something correct?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Overdrive Member

I think you just need to find an appropriate flex pipe from the SLP lid to the TB -- shouldn't be too hard, just get something that doesn't kink up. The smoother the pathway the better. You shouldn't have to modify the SLP lid itself, AFAIK.

IF you keep the stock lid, eliminate the noise baffle and then you will also need an appropriate flex pipe...

I've been meaning to phone HP Tuners to see if they can do any sort of tour/tuning there -- dunno, give them a buzz. I think they just sell the product there.

Wow thanks for all that info Liberty, didn't notice you were online. So if I'm not getting the Whisper Lid, I might as well stick with the shaved down stock lid right? How hard is it to modify the SLP lid to fit the throttle body?
Damn I didn't know HP tuners was so close to me..will they actually do the tuning for me?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member

I would forget about a tune until you do at least your intake, catback and headers. Yes, all the beefing up of internals helps more aggressive/demanding mods you might do later.

Start doing some bolt-ons, you have to get started starting first. LOL

Sorry Gorn didn't see that you posted before Liberty. I have 57,000 Miles on the car. And yeah, after you guys made it clear that I wasn't going to hit that target I pretty much just said I'll be happy being a little faster than the GTP. Would a tune help even on a stock car? Pistons, connecting rods, main bolts...how much for all of this? All this would also help down the line if I wanted to do nitrous or something correct?

Quick Reply: Fastest & Most Cost Effective route to 250 RWHP