93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Fan on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Default Fan on all the time

ok woke up this morning drove to college noticed the water gauge was not increasing at all although the heaters were warming up.

Now im home i've noticed the radiator fan is on constantly while the car is running but the gauge still shows just below 100.

Any ideas? it was snowing all day yesterday and freezing rain overnight.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Fan on all the time

ok its definately not the thermostat i took it out and checked it and all is ok. top radiator hose is warmish but bottom is stone cold think i'll try a flush after college today see if that helps.

someone must have an idea or two for me to try?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Droid

Tell us what car u driving, they all work differently.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM

oops yeah sorry its a 2002 camaro 3.8 v6 the heater hoses are hot but neither of the radiator ones get even warm. i replaced the fluid but while trying to bleed the air out of the system it takes for ever to bleed also just when i think im done more air appears at the top hose.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM

ok getting a step further now i've got the top hose hot now with air all out of system. the bottom hose will not get hot because the fans are running constantly

my only other thing i can think of is temp sensor is making the fans run all the time but where is it on the v6?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Droid

The fans are controlled by the computer through a set of 3 relays. The computer operates the relays based on the input from the ECT sensor. It could be the sensor, but it could also be that the contacts on one of the relays got welded toghether. Try switching the relays & see if conditions change.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM

i pulled them to kill the fans to see if the guage moved atall and it just stayed at 100.

its just confusing me now been working on cars for years but the fact the heater hoses are piping hot, top radiator hose is warm, bottom hose is stone cold, no guage movement atall, fans run constantly when the car has been started. Is the gauge and the ECT on the same wiring i.e the gauge doesnt have its own sender unit?

Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM

stuck t-stat change it and it will be ok

Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Fans on constantly, nice . Might check the wiring of the fan (someone before you may have rewired it to be on at all times), see if the compressor is running on the A/C constantly, might be stuck, or as mentioned a stuck t-stat.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:04 PM

well thanks for the replies guys but that was my first step new thermostat is in there right now still no difference and checked old one to confirm and its ok.

in regards to someone rewiring it before me it was fine since i got it then all of a sudden after a cold snow icy night the fan is stuck on all the time and gauge dont move i'm going to get up early and work on it properly will test the ect in the morn see how that tests out.

this is the most annoying issue i've had in a while.......

wouldnt change it for the world tho love the camaro so far, just need a lsd too

Quick Reply: Fan on all the time