Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 V6 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/)
-   -   --Exhaust (New to Forum)-- (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/exhaust-new-forum-1672/)

Bubonic 11-03-2005 10:44 PM

--Exhaust (New to Forum)--

Hi I am new here and to Camaros. I have a 95 Camaro 3.4 Liter V6.

My neighbor gave me an Ultra Flo 17266 12 638 its 2.5 inch. Its dual exhaust that he got of his camaro that blew up...
something to do with the fuel lines. Will i loose power putting this on since this was on a v8 and mines a 6? Also will I
loose the nice rumble? I mean mine doesnt sound like a 6 at all not even at 5,000 rpm. It doesnt sound like an 8 but
it doesnt sound like a regular 6. My friend has a 96 3.8 liter from Canada and she put an exhaust on and it sounds like
a civic or something. I dont want to loose one of the best things about my car. I love the rumble lol.

I am looking to do some mods and what not. Orginaly just a CAI or something but I got this thing for free lol. It would
be cool to get some more power, but I have ahve a limited budget lol. Like a few hundred nothing extreme or anything.
I definatly dont want to do anything that will loose the sound. I dont want it to sound like just any v6 its a camaro and
I dont want to loose that distinction at any rpm.

Thanks for the help! :D

redcamaro1989 11-03-2005 11:25 PM

RE: --Exhaust (New to Forum)--

the reason it sounds liek a civic is mostly because of the muffler. mandrel bent tubing or bigger tubing can always help but just watch the muffler you put on it.

Hisss04Cobra 11-04-2005 02:11 AM

Just lose it and go buy some flowmaster 40 series and have it installed for around 200$

Bubonic 11-04-2005 02:51 PM

ok. thanks. But lets say I do put this on (cheaper than buying a different on) will I loose the engine sound I like?

As in muffler are you talking about the tip? or what I got for free? Because I would like to put it on I mean it will only cost me around 80 or so and yeah.
But I dont want to sound like a civic at any rpm lol.

BTW I have read this on other parts of this forum and no one has explained it but how do you "gut your cat" and what are you doing when you do that lol

Thanks for the help I kinda a n00b at all of this lol

85Camarodude 11-04-2005 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Bubonic
As in muffler are you talking about the tip? or what I got for free?

BTW I have read this on other parts of this forum and no one has explained it but how do you "gut your cat" and what are you doing when you do that lol

the muffler is the box lookin thing where the pipes lead into and come out of.....not the tips

gutting the cat is a waste of time dont bother (unless you plan on whoopin up on some VIPERS). id go w/ flows, i have a 2.8 v6 and it makes mine sound nice so im sure it would do the same or more for your v6. not ricey at all.

if ur gonna get a new muffler installed, why not just get the whole exhaust done? get from the Y pipe back and get a high flow cat to throw in there. itll be worth it sound and power wise

*j/k bout the viper thing*

Hisss04Cobra 11-04-2005 04:32 PM

He said he's on a budget. If you had the money I'd go with an o/r x pipe and just those flows, until you got more money and could add some lt headers and etc. etc.

Bubonic 11-04-2005 05:27 PM

ok so I shouldnt put in the ultra flo? ok Yeah I am planing on doing the entire exhaust system when I have the money. But like I said I got this for free and was just seeing if its any good lol. So what do you suggest i mean if I am gonna get a different muffler I would rather save and get a good one rather than a not so good one.

I am just looking for the best bang for my buck without putting extra stress on my car.(I am not a rich kid just one who works all the time and saves lol)

I am not saying I wanted to gut my cat but I do want to know what it is lol... I have seen it on the forums here but no one has explained what it is.

BTW Thanks you all are helping a lot lol

85Camarodude 11-04-2005 06:07 PM

yeah havin a tight budget sux, dont get a whole lotta money when ur in high school
i had to stick a glasspack on mine for the longest time b/c the funds for a real exhaust werent there

ummm im not sure about the particulars on gutting a cat, sounds like u hollow it out so all that is left is the the exterior or casing w/e it is, so u can pass a look over inspection.
a few months before i had my exhaust done i just cut my cat out and put a flex pipe in its place and JB welded it in. sadly the only difference i noticed was a crapy air leak around the new afro enginered pipe.

Bubonic 11-04-2005 06:17 PM

still dont know what to do about the muffler lol ^^^^^

Thats what I thought gutting the cat meant but wasent sure lol thx

redcamaro1989 11-05-2005 02:21 AM

well look up the muffler online and see if you can find a sound clip of it. that's what i would do. oh and i just looked it up. ultra flo is a dynomax muffler. it says it is sposed to sound like a nice deep tone so i owuld say go ahead and install it. i like dynomax. good company

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds.stm go here and listen to the ultra flo mufflers on the cars. mite give you and idea