93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine swap.

As I've said in my introduction thread, I'm interested in racing my Camaro, be it on a track or...somehwere else. Would it be much more worth it to take out my V6 and put in maybe a SS or Z28 V8 instead? Or would I be better off just by doing some mods to my current engine? I guess what I'm saying really is, which one would be better for me financially/economically (in the long run (other than gas; I was advised that even if I do some mods and whatnot, I'd need to use 91 anyways, V6 or V8))? Well that, and to beat my friend's tuned and modified ricers (which are pretty fast (faster than my Camaro) and accelerate faster than me too). I've already had offers from friends to join some teams, so I could get some discounts on some things. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Engine swap.

If you are going to do long term racing, then a V8 swap will be best. It will cost a bit to do the swap, but you will gain so much more in the long run. You could do it with a six, but it will cost a lot more to get to the point of matching a v8. I had plans to build a six, but when the final cost rolled in, I decided to build a drag truck with a modified 454.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Ah, ok cool. What about parts that will work with both 6 and or 8, so that I could maybe get them for my 6 now and put them on the 8 when/if I get it?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

You won't find much of that. The rear ends are the same, so you could upgrade to posi and disks in the back right now. That's an easy swap. I can't think of much more.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Right on. I'm looking at some of the modifying threads for ideas on what to get (based on price right now).

Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: musicman

You won't find much of that. The rear ends are the same, so you could upgrade to posi and disks in the back right now. That's an easy swap. I can't think of much more.

first it is not a easy swap.....

second eventhough if he were to do the correct engine for his body model making a little simplar please do not lead him to belive its a bolt in kinda thing....

berani no offence man but you original post states that a SS and z28 have differant engines....which they dont so im guessing you dont have a whole lot of technical knowledge so let me share what ive learned in months of reserch about this....

now on to actual swap info

couple of things lets start with the most expeinsive...if you have auto like me lucky for you its the same tranny so that wont need tobe replaced if you have a manuel you will need to do a tranny swap up to the T56

nother peice that youll likey need to get from a donner car is a wireing harness for a which ever V8 you plan to swap...and ofcorse when you change you wireing harness you change your CPU and ofcorse a gauge cluster to give you accurate information about how fast your going....

finally as stated by music man you can add in a new gearing ratio LSD and disk brakes on the rear end in my opinion much esaier to just get the rear off a wrecked Z

so your looking at 2 grand for the motor maybe another grand for the tranny and close to another grand for the rest....

so were at 4 grand +install which doing all that if you get a good deal is gonna run you 1500 bucks

so 5500 bucks

for that you can get full bolt ons a nice cam and a 100 shot... then get it tuned for the nitrous your gonna make more Hp than the V8 you would have swaped...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

I see this thread as turning crazy. But long term racing, the V8 will be better. After its in, it will not take much money to get more power out of it. I'm a V6 guy, and usually encourage building a six. There are good sides to both. You might be better off just buying a z28 with everything already done. Less work to do.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

well it kinda depends on what you want if you want a single didgit 1/4 car only for the track then a V8 is the only way to go but since youve already got the V6 if your looking for a mid to low 13's street car swap is not worth it unless you want to do it just to say you did it your two best finanical options are going to be moding your V6 or buying a V8 car which of those two would be cheaper depends on where you live....

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member

The auto trannys are a little different... Bellhousings are different. I believe the input shaft sizes are different as well.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Instead of spending $5500 on a swap, buy a 93-97 Z28, you can pick them up around me locally for around $5000, sometimes you even see a 98 or 99 SS for 6 or 7 grand. I would just save your money pick up a SS and then you have a solid platform to build up on. And the money you would spend upgrading your v6 will get you a v8 that will have more power than the upgraded v6.

Quick Reply: Engine swap.