93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Engine problem with 96 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Default Engine problem with 96 Camaro

So my dad's got a '96 Camaro, t-top with a V6... A couple years ago my brother was using it, likely hot-roddin it, and it messed up. I don't remember who looked at it, but they said it "broke a rod." I assume they mean a connecting rod, but I'm not sure. It runs, but makes some sort of knocking noise.

I'm only 17, and I'm working on getting my license right now. Since the Camaro is just sitting here unused, it seems like a pretty good idea to try to get it fixed so I can use it.

What is probably the problem here? How much would it cost to fix?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Engine problem with 96 Camaro

Well it depends what kind of rod... Tie rod, pushrod, connecting rod... My guess is that they mean a pushrod by the knocking sound you're describing. Most shops don't wanna tear down the top end of your engine so it could get costly pretty quick... The stock rods are actually quite strong and your brother had to be giving it hell all the time to break one... I RACE my car with the stock rods and they're still in great shape... I wouldn't be surprised if pushrods were your only problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well if its an engine problem atie rod would have nothing to do with it lol.... and push rods don't normally break usually they just bend. Your going to have to tear into it do start diagnosing it. A knock in the engine can be caused by several different things. I could be main bearings, rod bearings, connecting rods ect.....first thing I would do is a compression test, that will help narrow it doen to a likely cylinder. You can also do a vacumme test. Also check your oil for any abnormal metal shavings.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
4th Gear Member

I BROKE a pushrod in my LS1... Shattered it actually... A connecting rod would completely screw up the engine and cause more than knock. And it's not normal that you break a connecting rod... I'm still saying pushrod because it's the most common and most accurately describes your problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
4th Gear Member

And I made the tie rod comment because all he said was rod... I wasn't actually suggesting it was a tie rod lol... I'm suggesting it's a pushrod because I ****ed mine up and it would easily explain the knocking

Old 11-17-2008, 09:16 PM

Any idea how much these sort of problems would cost to fix? Some people I've heard from said it'd be easier just to replace the engine. I know nothing about repairing engines, only a little bit about how they run. I understand some of the parts but couldn't replace anything myself.

Is any of this easy enough to do myself, with a little help? How much would the parts cost?
Would it be better to have someone do it for me?
Or would it really be best to replace the engine?

I'm close to finally getting my license, and could really use a good car... My dad's making me pay all $329 of my driving school, so it's not like I'll have much left over for a car or something. It seems easier just to fix the Camaro since it's sitting here anyway, than to buy a used car somewhere.