93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Engine Problem...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Default Engine Problem...?

I was driving my 96 Camaro today, and when I was on the highway it started to feel weird. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it just didn't feel like it was driving right. It had rained and the road was slick which may have affected it, but I'm not sure. When I got home, there was a slight knocking noise (it definitely sounded different than normal when running) and the I could feel some vibrations

Any ideas what this could be?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

well it could be many things. I would start with the main bearings. sometimes those would cause some vibrations. could be a rod knock. does the sound that it makes sound like its hitting metal on metal? then it could be a lifter tick. its hard to tell without actually seeing/hearing the problem.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Definitely sounds like some water in your fuel. If it doesn't go away within a few tanks of gas, probably something else.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whats your oil pressure like? has it dropped? what grade oil? is it a pre ignition knock like when u give it to much gas in a high gear at slow speed.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisKJXN
Definitely sounds like some water in your fuel. If it doesn't go away within a few tanks of gas, probably something else.
Yeah, that could be it. It was sitting out in the rain today, and I was driving it in the rain. Sometimes if I'm walking around the driver side rear of the car (near the fuel door), I can smell gas. Maybe there's some leak or opening where water got in?

Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You need to know what is the real prob...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by jagass
You need to know what is the real prob...
How does this answer help? That is why he asked the question.

To the OP. Is the Service Engine Soon light on? The gas smell near the gas tank (which you should only smell when fueling up) leads me to think something with the EVAP emissions equipment is malfunctioning. It can also cause the engine to "stumble", or feel as if something is wrong.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
To the OP. Is the Service Engine Soon light on? The gas smell near the gas tank (which you should only smell when fueling up) leads me to think something with the EVAP emissions equipment is malfunctioning. It can also cause the engine to "stumble", or feel as if something is wrong.
None of the warning lights were on

I've only noticed the smell once or twice, as I walked past the rear driver's side of the car. I never noticed any leaks or anything, but didn't take a good look.

When I first got it fixed, the engine light came on and we took it back to the shop, he said that it was something with the emissions stuff. I forget exactly what he said but after he fixed it, there hadn't been a problem

Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM

When I drove to work today, it really started acting up. It had a bad knocking sound and the oil gauge dropped almost all the way to the bottom.

When I started it up to leave work, about 8 hours later, the oil gauge shot up and the knocking sound was horrible. The whole way home it was making noise, mostly in the lower gears, and the engine would die if I had to stop at a stop light/sign.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Still no lights?

Quick Reply: Engine Problem...?