93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Engine Fried?! dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mikey_11
well my friend who knows quite a bit more about cars than me tells me its 'fried'... and i can feel that i have lost alot of power since before the trip and the engine seems to shake alot now and it also has a 'tick tick tick' sound going on but its not too loud of one but enough to notice it making the sound
And exactly how much is that? I have a friend who knows more than me about fishing, but he can't bring one back to life!
For sure signs of engine problems, does it.....have a lower end knock, pour blue smoke out the exhaust, pour white smoke out the exhaust, make antifreeze disappear, overheat, have extremely low oil pressure, drink oil like it's water?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 AM

hahah now that u mention that he said ther was blue smoke coming outta my exhaust. so whats the verdict?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 AM

also it did seem to suck the antifreeze dry quite quickly but im not sure about the other things you mentioned

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ok if the antifreeze is competly dry then you have yourself a huge problem. the car should never come close to being out of antifreeze. if there is blue smoke coming out of the exhaust then that could lead to a head gasket somewhere is being deffective, and thus is where all you antifreeze is going. does the engine temp go up at all? if the antifreeze is getting into the head then the car should over heat. You should probably check into a head gasket swap or go with your 3.4 to 3.4 swap imo.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 AM

not really the temp gauge is generally good but i just noticed the antifreeze gets low pretty quick. Is a head gasket swap easy n cheap? So ur thinkin its the head gasket not my whole engine?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

im not absolutaly sure its the head gasket but it could be part of the problem. a head gasket swap can be a pain if you are doin it your first time, try to get a friend that knows how to do it to help you. a kit for that is like 75-90 bucks.to take it to a garage its like 800-900 to have them do it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 AM

okay thanks... but what about the rattling/shaking of my engine and the 'tsk tsk tsk' sound it makes any thoughts on that?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Are there a lot of miles on this car? Cause a ticking sound usually indicates that oil is needed. You want to go from the cheapest route to the most expensive. If you replace old parts with new ones and the engine is still acting up you can always buy a new GM motor only somewhat built and swap the new parts onto the new engine. If you're really unsure though bring it down to a mechanic you trust and have him diagnose it. If you know of a reputable CHEVY/PONTIAC dealership pay the 95 bucks (or whatever their hourly rate is) and have them diagnose it.

Last edited by KawasakiJ14; 10-04-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM

its got just under 182000 kms, but i was driving it today just around the block and there is like NO power. i floored it and my rpm would momentarily pause then go up but my car was still only slowly accerelating. like before when i gun it i would be able to feel it even for a v6. but theres alot of oil in it just checked today. i would definetley liek to switch parts up and see it, it'd run better, but i just dont kno whats wrong with it and dotn really feel like spending 100 bux to find out my cars more messed up than i thought it was!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mikey_11
...but theres alot of oil in it just checked today.
Get the oil level where it belongs and try it again. If it's way too high, the counterweights of the crankshaft can be whipping around in the oil. Not only is that a drag on the engine, it can cause the oil to foam (air in the oil) and that's bad for the bearings.

Quick Reply: Engine Fried?! dilemma!