November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^This. Plus my stock lt1 will walk all over 370z's :P

Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

basically from my understanding corvette motors will fit flawlessly but a monte carlo or a pontiac grand prix gt will not how is that possible?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear member

They well as long as there the l26 3.8, the supercharged l67's take a lot of fab and tunning to get them in and running right.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
FYI the fwd 3400 will fit Got me a Chicken - V6 F-Body.com
Yes if you make custom motor mount and custom wiring harnesses and custom make brackets it will fit . What are the chances the drive line angles are right? Do you really think the centerline of the FWD crank is in the same place at the same angle as the original engine? This is a perfect example of how not to do a project. This car may run and go down the road but it will be a ton of problem and there is only one person who will work on it. When you are done with it scrape it, no one will want it.

Seriously, he said not much mods and you bring it a picture of a car the is almost completely fabricated. The FWD motor does not have a place for a motor mount on the front side of the motor the guy bolted a plate to the side of the motor using holes design for accessories.

For a direct bolt in there is NO options. If you can figure one out you will be a Hero to a lot of people.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:49 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CountTripula
basically from my understanding corvette motors will fit flawlessly but a monte carlo or a pontiac grand prix gt will not how is that possible?
It simple really. The 4th gen motors must be designed to fit in the car. The engine bay is tight and oddly shaped. Every bracket every connector is designed to make it fit, No parts interchange. The Z28 came with a Vett motor. You can not just take a motor out of a Vett and put it into a Camaro. You need to strip and the vet stuff and you need all the Camaro accessories, brackets and wiring. So unless GM Design an engine to fit into the Camaros engine compartment it is not going fit. The 3.4 is odd ball because the RWD 3.4 did not come in any other car 93-95. The Lt1 and LS1 and the 3800 all came in other cars.

FYI a Monte Carlo 3800 will fit perfectly in a Camaro that came with a 3800 as long as you use a the Camaro designed parts on the Monte engine.

By fit I mean the motor will bolt in, I can put a Ford 302 in a 4th gen but that does not mean it will fit in there. I mean yea it fits space wise but ,,, by fit I mean you can just install it.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-07-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CountTripula
It's not that they won't fit, it's that they require just as much work to fit as putting a 'Vette or V8 F body engine in.

The truth is, you can get any thing to fit with time, money, and good fab/mod skills. All of which you are telling us you don't have. Which is fine and understandable. But we've laid out your other two options for more power plain as day.

1) Buy a Camaro with the 3.8L V6.

2) Buy a Camaro with a V8.

And for the record, please don't get the impression that we are trying to be mean or a-holes either. Just trying to steer you away from making a bad decision that'll you'll hate for later.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
FYI a Monte Carlo 3800 will fit perfectly in a Camaro that came with a 3800 as long as you use a the Camaro designed parts on the Monte engine.

By fit I mean the motor will bolt in, I can put a Ford 302 in a 4th gen but that does not mean it will fit in there. I mean yea it fits space wise but ,,, by fit I mean you can just install it.

was the whole point of this i just didnt see why no other motors from chevy would fit. i have no problems getting my hands dirty my problem is money, space, and tools to the proper job

Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Kind of the point I was trying to make. Working on these cars is not simple. Repairing or replacing an existing engine is not easy compared to say a 3rd gen. But when you repair or replace an engine you can find a manual that will give you step by step “how to” direction. You can get recommendation on tools needed for a given repair in many cases you can borrow needed special tools for a parts store or a friend.

To do a swap there is no manual. You really need to understand at least the basic of every system in the engine bay. When you do a repair the manual says remove these vacuum lines, you do not need to know anything about them. In a swap you need to know what each one does so you can figure out if it can stay or you need the one off the other motor. The only good that comes from swapping a motor is the learning. There are a few exception but none of those exception involve saving money or being easier.

A stock Z28 that just needs a repair like head gaskets can be bought pretty cheap. For beginner that is a much more realistic project then a swap. Step by step manual, basic hand tools and you might have to buy\borrow a toque wrench and an angle meter. In the end you have a car that is worth more than you have in it and you could even sell it for a profit if you wished. I have never seen that happen with any swap. Most Swapped cars are upside down in parts alone no less getting any value for your labor.

All the above assumes we are talking about swapping in a engine designed to fit in a camaro. Once you talk about a engine not designed to fit you are talking "making parts" because they simply do not exist. I have a pretty well equipt shop, I looked at doing the M90 Supercharger 3800 in my 96. Could I do it, yes, is it worth it? no. Its just too many hours of fabrication.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engin swap wanted