93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

EGR valve help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 AM
2nd Gear member
Default EGR valve help

Ok, I know the 4th gen thread gets more hits, but hopefully someone sees this that can help me. I already PM'ed specter since he has an EGR valve delete.

My situation is, when my car warms up, the service engine soon light comes on, and it sputters and hesitates pretty significant when I'm 1/2 throttle or above. When I'm just tooling along, it's fine, and as long as I don't really get on the gas much I'm perfect. Except for the check engine light on.

I had my codes read, and they told me that the EGR valve was bad, but Spec didn't think that just that being bad would make it sputter like that. Any theories? I thought about doing the EGR valve delete, since I don't feel like spending 130 bucks for a non-necessity but will that cure my misfire? Thanks people

Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: EGR valve help

it will run a little richer, and it wont pass e-check or inspection. on my 3.8 my check engine light would come on once a day. and from a dead stop when i floored it, it would sputter a little bit.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

EGR valves can definatley cause a sputter adn misfire. it all depends on how its defective, it it fails with all solodoids shut, oyu might loes some gas milage and you will hurt the environment(big deal). but if it fails while open you loes vaccum and exhaust can freely pass into the intake and choke the motor. before you do anything take it off, apart adn clean it thourogly. It takes like 15-20 min and can be likely cause when it is stuck open. you may even be able to get a good look at her from the side adn see a chunk of carbon holding a solonoid open.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Overdrive Member

Unplug it (the electrical plug) and see if it still happens. If it does, then it could be stuck open like Labyrinth9 said. If not, you'll just have the Check Engine light. I have HPTuners and when it the EGR gave me a light, I simply made it to where it neverwas called uponand deleted all the codes.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had the same problem on mine and in the end after cleaning the egr and testing I had to replace it and that fixed the problem. It hurted to come off the $118 dollars but it did the job.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So did you get it fix yet?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Think about the gas you will save with a better running motor....SFC

Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you guys soooo much for the help and response...I haven't been on in awhile, and it's been raining out, but if it's not tomorrow, I'm going to try unplugging it. So Ghost, you had the same problem where it was sputtering and after replacing it, it stopped? Thanks again guys

Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I did have a little sputtering before I replaced it and it stop completely after I put the new one on. Icleaned it but still no change.I tried to unplug itbefore I replace and it barely stayed running so that didn't help so a spent the money to replace it.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Just wanted to let everyone know I unplugged it, and I did notice a little difference. But it still sputters under heavier acceleration. Especially when you're like in 5th and going about 50-60 and gas it. But it's a lot better. I'm going to try cleaning it when the weather clears up.

Quick Reply: EGR valve help