93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Drum roll please

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Default Drum roll please

Okay drum brakes suck, we all know that. I'm assume (making an A** of U and ME) from the looks of it,my 96 3.8 V6 has drums in the rear. Who sells the disc brake upgrade kit? I don't want to sink money into changing these drum brakes when i could invest that money into a nice disc brake upgrade.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Drum roll please

get a whole axel out of a junked z28

Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Even better idea...........save money, get more partsand get the brake upgrade.........I'm beginning to like you chevy boys!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Do I need a new master cylinder to pump fluid to the rears? I've never dealt with drum brakes before.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear member

You shouldn't. If I may ask, why bother replacing them? Rear brakes are hardly used (generally 30%) and I really don't think you will see much of a performance gain. Really, swapping brake hardware can be a pain for a beginner and even a novice.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard... Hey rookie, if you dont think that your rear brakes are useful enough to make sure thay are working properly, well go on ahead and leave your worn out. They serve a big purpose, the stoping power ratio is no excuse to put anybody in danger.
ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

You shouldn't. If I may ask, why bother replacing them? Rear brakes are hardly used (generally 30%) and I really don't think you will see much of a performance gain. Really, swapping brake hardware can be a pain for a beginner and even a novice.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear member

You misunderstood my post. I stated that replacing the drum brake system would really be pointless with the intent of changing it to disc. Drum brakes are sufficient and the braking ratio has a LOT to do with everything. The original poster is better off buying or resurfacing the drums, buying new shoes and a spring set, and letting them be. My entire point was that since the rears are hardly used, swapping them to disc would not show any improvement.

So before you start with your typical condescending immature posts, read before you hit 'SEND'.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

So before you start with your typical condescending immature posts, read before you hit 'SEND'.
Make you idiotic replys a little clearer so immature people such as myself dont become confused..(reading..reading..reading..reading) Ok. As condesending as I have been, knowledge and experience help me to understand that inexperienced people give inexperienced answers.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Find a Y87 V6 or Z28 for parts

But in reality, if your starting out working on cars I would not modify your brakes, really important to do them right

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Adam.. nice to see that TA around here..

anyway.. I would replace it simply because of the fact that disc looks a lot better than drum IMO.
I think i would go with replacing the axle not only to have disc brakes, but also gears and posi.
I really like the idea of a Y87 rear end.. 3.42's, which if i remember correctly the stock z28 rear end is 3.23?
BUT, im not sure if a Y87 rear end can be used with the 5 spd transmission (if thats what you have). I'm not sure why you couldnt, but as far as i know all Y87's were automatics.. Im SURE Adam knows.

Quick Reply: Drum roll please