93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Do all 3.4 do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Default Do all 3.4 do this?

Mine will start out strong with a good amount of acceleration, but when it gets to about 4,000rpm's power drops off sharply until the tranny shifts and then it's good again, i'm just wondering if this is normal because of the difference of hp and torque with this motor? It's been my experience that a clogged cat will do that (granted mazdas and chevys are two totally different cars, the mazda had a dohc 3.0 v-6 and clearing the cat did the trick) TIA

Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Do all 3.4 do this?

For what I've heard the 3.4 struggles at higher rpms.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

For what I've heard the 3.4 struggles at higher rpms.
Heck yes it does. I notice it most when I'm in 3rd.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes, the 3.4 was not a stellar performer, it was rated at 160HP and, most of that was available only to about 3300RPM... after that it will start to die out till it shifts... Removing the cat, ( or replacing with a high flow depending on your state laws), will help a little bit, your only going to gain about 2-3 real HP, but some is better than none.. unles your cat is completely clogged, in which case it will give you back the power you lost... Removing the cat is not REALLY a HP mod, it gives a 3% or so MPG increase... You can get a throttle body spacer, and a free flowing exhaust, The TB spacer will give you a significant mid to High RPM range improvment, and the exhaust will give you a bit down low and midrange... That motor likes a bit of back pressure, so I would not remove that cat even if your state allows it, but put a high flow cat in its place instead.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Got any links to where i can find the above mentioned parts? Also how esactly does the throttle body spacer work towards improving high rpm power?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My automatic loses it around there but my manual never did it held up beautifully to the red line. also jsut an FYI Ac delco plugs came in the car and are the best for the car. generally bosh is not good for these cars, i would take them out.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Throttle body spacer? I've read these are useless. Can you point me to a picture of this for the 3.4 and what it will achieve, along with some benchmarks??

See:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6025022AAwGGD9

Plus I don't think they make them for 93-97 Camaros...

Thanks in advance.

ORIGINAL: carguy_z28

Yes, the 3.4 was not a stellar performer, it was rated at 160HP and, most of that was available only to about 3300RPM... after that it will start to die out till it shifts... Removing the cat, ( or replacing with a high flow depending on your state laws), will help a little bit, your only going to gain about 2-3 real HP, but some is better than none.. unles your cat is completely clogged, in which case it will give you back the power you lost... Removing the cat is not REALLY a HP mod, it gives a 3% or so MPG increase... You can get a throttle body spacer, and a free flowing exhaust, The TB spacer will give you a significant mid to High RPM range improvment, and the exhaust will give you a bit down low and midrange... That motor likes a bit of back pressure, so I would not remove that cat even if your state allows it, but put a high flow cat in its place instead.