93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Darn camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Darn camaro!

I spent everal hours this weekend working with my son on his car. We replaced the air conditioner compressor, replaced the O2 sensor, after having to remove the exhaust manifold to get the thing out. Put it all back together and he drove it yesterday and today and the SES light is back on again! Haven't scanned it yet but I'm about to get frustrated with these SES lights.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As much as I hate to ask, did you plug the new oxy sensor in? And you're sure you didn't pull any other sensor wiring connections apart, or break/cut a wire?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Pretty sure we got everything put back but going to double check tomorrow and run the scan on it to see what codes come up.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The frustration of owning and maintaining an older car. Look at it this way, Someone out there that paid 10K for their used car just got it back from their mechanic, who charged $1800, and had their check engine light come on yesterday also.

I had the fuel pump fail in mine and a week later the new pump started making noise. I took it by the part store and they said pull it and they will swap it. I did that and all was backed to normal. Three days later it shuts off in the middle of traffic. I get it home, no fuel pressure, I forgot to double check the clamps on the factory installed hoses. The hoses poped off the pump. I was ready to lite the thing on fire.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Nothing worse than doing a bit#$ of a job twice!
A guy that comes to my friends shop was broke but very determined to replace the head gasket in his 87 Toyota MR2. He really wanted to get that thing running again and struggled to get that job done. He was so proud when he got it back together . Then he started the engine and oil squirted out between the block and the head. He had installed the head gasket upside down! Can you spot the problem?

Attached Thumbnails Darn camaro!-p3240003.jpg  

Last edited by 1augapfel; 07-21-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hmmmmm...lemme see. You mean all the holes are supposed to fall on top of each other?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Overdrive Member

Boy that is a tough one there. LOL the head gasket is supposed to go over the entire block not just the parts that look like it should go over them. I can see how one would be able to get this wrong but sheesh... Get a chevy the head gaskets are pretty user friendly even if getting to them is not!

Massey

Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Member

I finally get around to reading the codes today. I am getting a P0137 saying O2 sensor ckt low volts (bank 1 sensor 2). Could that be because I just replaced the sensor on bank one sensor one and one is OEM and the other is aftermarket? If I am reading the chart right, bank 1 sensor 2 is the O2 sensor in front of the cat but not the one in the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by osduck5; 07-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Overdrive Member

What year Camaro, which engine? Based on another post, I think you said '96...

Document ID# 33085
1996 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro
DTC P0137 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

Refer to HO2S Sensors .

Circuit Description

To control emissions of Hydrocarbons (HC), Carbon Monoxide (CO), and Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), a three-way catalytic converter is used. The catalyst within the converter promotes a chemical reaction which oxidizes the HC and CO present in the exhaust gas, converting them into harmless water vapor and carbon dioxide. The catalyst also reduces NOx, converting it to nitrogen. The PCM has the ability to monitor this process using the Bank 1 HO2S 2 and the Bank 1 HO2S 3 heated oxygen sensors. The Bank 1 HO2S 2 sensor produces an output signal which indicates the amount of oxygen present in the exhaust gas entering the three-way catalytic converter. The Bank 1 HO2S 3 sensor produces an output signal which indicates the oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst; this in turn indicates the catalyst's ability to convert exhaust gases efficiently. If the catalyst is operating efficiently, the Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal will be far more active than that produced by the Bank 1 HO2S 3 sensor. If the Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal voltage remains excessively low for an extended period of time, DTC P0137 will be set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

No active transmission, TP sensor, EVAP system, EGR, misfire, IAT sensor, MAP sensor, fuel trim, fuel injector circuit, EVAP solenoid ODM, ECT sensor, or MAF sensor DTC(s) present.
Closed loop commanded air/fuel ratio is between 14.5 to 1 and 14.8 to 1.
Throttle angle is between 3% and 40%.
Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal voltage remains below 175 mV during normal closed loop operation.
OR

Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal voltage remains below 600 mV during power enrichment mode fuel control operation.

Either condition must be present for at least 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Failure Records data.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
The History DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Check for the following conditions:

Heated oxygen sensor wiring -- The sensor pigtail may be mispositioned and contacting the exhaust system.
Poor PCM to engine grounds
Fuel pressure low -- A condition which causes a lean exhaust can cause DTC P0137 to set. The system will go lean if pressure is too low. The PCM can compensate for some decrease. However, if fuel pressure is too low, a DTC P0137 may be set. Refer to Fuel System Pressure Test .
Fuel injector(s) -- Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test .
Vacuum leaks -- Check for disconnected or damaged vacuum hoses and for vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, throttle body, EGR system, and crankcase ventilation system.
Exhaust leaks -- An exhaust leak may cause outside air to be pulled into the exhaust gas stream past the HO2S, causing the DTC P0137 to set. Check for exhaust leaks near the HO2S 2 sensor.
MAF sensor -- Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if the condition is corrected. If so, replace MAF sensor.
Fuel contamination -- Water, even in small amounts, can be delivered to the fuel injectors. The water can cause a lean exhaust to be indicated. Excessive alcohol in the fuel can also cause this condition. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Testing Procedure for procedure to check for fuel contamination.
Test Description

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table:

DTC P0137 being set during power enrichment mode operation (TP angle above 60%) may indicate a condition described in the Diagnostic Aids above. If the DTC P0137 test passes while the Fail Records conditions are being duplicated, an intermittent condition is indicated. Review the Fail Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed. This may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs.

This vehicle is equipped with a PCM which utilizes an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM). When the PCM is being replaced, the new PCM must be programmed.

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

Was the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check performed?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check

Install scan tool
Engine at operating temperature
Operate vehicle within parameters specified under DTC Will Set When criteria included in Diagnostic Support.
Using a scan tool, monitor Bank 1 HO2S 2 voltage.
Does the Bank 1 HO2S 2 voltage remain below the specified value?

75 mV

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 3

Turn ON the ignition switch.
Review and record scan tool Fail Records data and note parameters.
Operate vehicle within Fail Records conditions as noted.
Using a scan tool, monitor Specific DTC info for DTC P0137 until the DTC P0137 test runs.
Does scan tool indicate DTC P0137 failed this ignition?

--

Go to Step 4

Refer to Diagnostic Aids

Disconnect Bank 1 HO2S 2.
Jumper the Bank 1 HO2S 2 low circuit (PCM side) to ground.
Does scan tool indicate Bank 1 HO2S 2 voltage near the specified value?

450 mV

Refer to Diagnostic Aids

Go to Step 5

Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Disconnect the PCM.
Check the Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal circuit for a short to ground or a short to the sensor ground circuit
Is the Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal circuit shorted?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 7

Repair the Bank 1 HO2S 2 signal circuit. Refer to Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Repair in Electrical Diagnosis.

Is the action complete?

--

Go to Step 8

--

Replace the PCM.

Important

Replacement PCM must be programmed. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming .

Is the action complete?

--

Go to Step 8

--

Turn ON the ignition switch. Note test result.
Review and record scan tool Fail Records data.
Clear DTCs
Operate vehicle within Fail Records conditions as noted.
Using a scan tool, monitor Specific DTC info for DTC P0137 until the DTC P0137 test runs.
Does scan tool indicate DTC P0137 failed this ignition?

--

Go to Step 2

System OK

Document ID# 33085
1996 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-26-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added trouble code detail
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Nothing worse than doing a bit#$ of a job twice!
A guy that comes to my friends shop was broke but very determined to replace the head gasket in his 87 Toyota MR2. He really wanted to get that thing running again and struggled to get that job done. He was so proud when he got it back together . Then he started the engine and oil squirted out between the block and the head. He had installed the head gasket upside down! Can you spot the problem?
dam thats gotta hurt