93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

CrAzY problem....need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Default CrAzY problem....need suggestions

I doubt this has happened to any of you, but I'm gonna give it a shot and see if anybody can help. I have a 2000, 3.8 V6 camaro, and something is screwed up big time with the radio/windows. For the past year, the radio would just randomly cut off while I was driving down the road, and when this happened, the windows wouldn't work either. After a few minutes, it would come back on and everything would be fine and dandy again (untill it decided to cut back off). I pulled every wire i could get to, trying to find a short or something, and I came up with nothing. I finally took it up to the GM place and had them see what they could do, which had the same result as I did. Its now to the point where it works for maybe 2 minutes a day. I would just replace the radio, but the windows also dont work when it cuts out, so I dont know that replacing the radio would have any effect. So, I'm out of ideas. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Default RE: CrAzY problem....need suggestions

Hey my car did something similar to that. i have a 1996 3.8 maro. My deck kept cutting off and on off and on. we thought it was the amp or the face was defective on the deck. it was neither. i dont have power windows so we had no issue with windows. but the deck, it'd work when it wanted to, it was acting ridiculous. he even put in a new deck, cuz we thought it was that, and the deck didnt even work. so the guy i knew with the stereo shop was like, ok, it's gotta be electrical, then he went searching around in the wires, and tested them. he pulled out the deck and checked all the wiring, and there was some ignition wire or something, i forgot what it was, but IT WAS UNPLUGGED. it solved everything. but he actually did test some of the wires for shorts.

it sounds electrical obviously, maybe a fuse is about to blow or one of the wires is shorted out. did u check continuity on any of ur wires to see if they are all ok? look for any melted wires? did u replace any wires when u went through them? that's only thing i can think of.

is it a stock stereo?

i dont think it's ur radio, it sounds like ur electrical wires are maybe going bad. not all, maybe one or something. just dont replace ur deck. if u have the resources, put in a different deck to see if it's the deck messing things up. who did the wiring on ur deck? how long has it happened for?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Yeah, everything is stock on the interior, except for the window motor (i was having the problem with the radio/windows before i replaced the window motor). Every wire that i could get to was fine, and the GM place said that they couldn't find any shorts or bad wires either. I also thought it may have been the fuse, but I replaced that, and nothing changed. You talked about an ignition wire or something being unplugged, do you know where he found it, and where it plugged in? The reason I even suggested something possibly being wrong inside the stereo, is because just like every other man out there, when something doesnt work, we try hitting it, and everytime i would hit (not hard of course) the side of the dash where the stereo is located, it would click back on, but would eventually go off. But yeah, I appreciate the suggestions, and if theres anyway you can find out where that unplugged wire was located, i would love to know.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

sounds like a loose ground wire. sick

Old 12-31-2006, 10:25 PM

Hey this same thing is happening to me. I can't figure it out. I replaced the stereo thinking it was the stereo but it did the same thing on the new stereo. I later realized that the windows go out at the same time the radio does. Most of the time it goes out just sitting there? Which leads me to believe it can't be a wire problem. Wouldn't a wire problem have to have some sort of movement to be bad? If it was a loose ground wire or some wires shorting wouldn't they have to be moved in order to defect? If it works and without any movement at all it cuts out and back again. I sometime think by hitting the door locks I get it to come back but, this might just be coinsidence since it doesn't work all the time. Man, I wish more people had this problem cuz its pretty frustrating and I can't find any info on the web about it.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Droid

Check the Acessory Delay Module/BCM. There is a RAP relay, part of module,that feeds power to the radio fuse and the power window circuit breaker. Check & clean all connections to the BCM. BCM locates under instrument panel on passenger side near blower motor.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Definantly electrical, take the plastic panel under the steering wheel off and clean/check the wires if you haven't already done so, it could also be the wires going into the fuse box itself, make sure they're all snug and connected!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey h0tb0y6996, im from Modesto too! If u see a red 2000 with a red chevrolet sticker on the back windshield hollar!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, anyway, one time my two front speakers were blown, and the volume and seek controls on my steering wheel wouldnt work. Also the mute button would only stay mute for about 2 seconds, and then play again on its own. Plus that little tiny lamp on the drivers side door was out. Well, one day i decided to replace the speakers and once they were in EVERYTHING worked again. So what i thought is if something electrical is acting up, other things will too, but thats just my own opinion.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:37 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: chevman00

Hey h0tb0y6996, im from Modesto too! If u see a red 2000 with a red chevrolet sticker on the back windshield hollar!
Uh Oh. Every one watch out for the guys from Molesto J/K

Quick Reply: CrAzY problem....need suggestions